ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cannot change thread title (First post subject not editable)

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

azorpheunt

Cannot change thread title (First post subject not editable)

Post by azorpheunt » Wed May 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Hello,

I searched for 'thread title' in this forum but it does not look like this question has been asked before.

According to the posting etiquette ("read before you post / netiquette / choosing your title") detailed here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/announ ... 75081.html
Workshop: How to change the title of a thread:
Make sure you´re logged in.
When logged in, the top right of your own posts (inside the thread) shows two buttons: "Quote" and "Edit"
click "Edit" in your FIRST post in the thread
The subject for this post is also the thread title, which can now be changed
click "submit" and you´re done
I can confirm that I am logged in but I do not see the Edit button on the first post to be able to change the subject (and hence the thread title). I was trying to do so for a new question (which should have a different thread title) on http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 08435.html.

I have also checked in multiple browsers to make sure this is not a problem there.

If one is unable to change the thread title, combined with the fact that the etiquette rules have been changed to discourage multiple posts, it makes the thread title quite misleading. Can you please advise?

geriatrix

Re: Cannot change thread title (First post subject not edita

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 04, 2016 12:26 pm

You can edit a post only within 15 minutes of posting it. It is only during those 15 minutes that you will be able to see and use "EDIT" button.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

azorpheunt

Post by azorpheunt » Wed May 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Thank you.

However, that still leaves the issue of having 'Relevant thread titles' open.

I would have thought that with the ban of multiple threads, being able to edit the thread title to reflect the latest question would be needed. For instance, referring to the same thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... l#p1342993 , my latest question is about something else entirely (nothing to do with the SAR request and continous period of stay as the thread title implies).

I am unsure of how to interpret
Please create and use one topic for your queries regarding a specific topic / immigration application (e.g. - settlement, PBS, naturalisation).
from http://www.immigrationboards.com/announ ... t5722.html

If one is unable to change the thread title while being required to use the same thread for varied questions, wouldn't the thread title be misleading? Am primarily concerned about the fact that since the thread title does not reflect the question I am searching an answer for, it would not draw the attention of people who might be able to answer it.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Anyone can view "new" posts - there is no need to create a new topic with a new title to enable anyone to view your "new" question(s). Neither do you need to edit the topic title to seek answer to a new question posted in the topic - that would make the rest of the topic irrelevant if you use the same logic. People who choose a question rather than the summary of their situation as a topic title are more likely to be confused as you are.

The search function searches for keywords in the topic title, in subject title of the threads within the topic, and also within the message body - by default.

The topic you refer to was authored when the "EDIT" function was always enabled. But the forum software was upgraded few years ago and the "permanent" option of editing posts is no longer available. But the essence of what the topic suggests remains the same - you choose the title that reflects the summary of your situation so that multiple questions about various things about your situation can be answered in a single topic creating a logical flow of the discussion - but people confuse this advice as suggesting "my question at this moment is my topic title" and later on feel the need to change it every time they have a new question to ask (like you have been searching for that elusive edit button) or start creating new topics for every new question that comes to their mind within seconds / minutes / hours / days.

Since this can end up in a never ending discussion, my suggestion would be that you don't worry about the title of the topic because that is not what people depend on to answer your queries. Post your questions in the topic and you'll get your answers - irrespective of what the title may be.

azorpheunt

Post by azorpheunt » Wed May 04, 2016 1:31 pm

Great, thanks for the clarification.
But the essence of what the topic suggests remains the same - you choose the title that reflects the summary of your situation so that multiple questions about various things about your situation can be answered in a single topic creating a logical flow of the discussion
That makes sense to me. Would that imply that, for example, the title of my thread should have been more generic, perhaps something like 'Questions about my ILR application'?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 04, 2016 1:44 pm

+1.

Generics always help and are more useful.

e.g. -
Queries - Tier 1 (General) applying for ILR
ILR after 6 years on discretionary leave

The moment I see such titles, I know I am more competent to answer queries in topic 1 and that I best leave topic 2 unless there is a generic query that I may be able to answer.

From the seeker's perspective, he is giving a snapshot of his summary enabling others to figure out whether they can or cannot help in answering questions in the topic.

Just as keywords in CV help paint a picture! :)