ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Problem with private messages

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Problem with private messages

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Messages I send sometimes seem to have not been sent and are sitting in my outbox days later. I send them again, it looks like they have gone but when I don't get a reply I check and they are in my outbox again! I've got two message in my outbox now that are just refusing to go anywhere.

Also, I recd email notifications the other day that I had PMs. I came here and there was nothing.

Anyone knows what's going on?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:07 am

No. Sorry, I don't know what's going on.

Coming from the Admin ... that should help you sleep easy at night! :wink:

Generally, when a message stays in the outbox, that is because it has not been read by the recipient. If the recipient reads a message & then marks it as unread, it may go back into the outbox.

It's not supposed to .. I'd have to experiment with it and see if it's possible.

If you've received a PM (& the notification), your PM box may be full & cannot receive anymore or the sender may delete the message from their outbos before you read it.

If none of these things appear to be going on, then there is always the possibility that we are experiencing database problems.

And, we have been. We try to keep it quiet when that happens for security reasons, but yes, we have had the database crash on us a few times.

When that happens, we sometimes have to rebuild it to an earlier state, which could trigger some false information for the users, and some posts & PM's can be lost.

There is no way for us to know when such things are lost and there is no way for us to recover them. The few times this has happened this year, we were able to restore the database to within a few minutes of the crash .. butif it took us an hour to find the problem, activity during that hour would be lost/altered/'behave strangely.'

Keep in mind that ImmigrationBoards is only one website we run, albeit a rather large one (relatively speaking as to the database size & complexity). Problems with other sites (such as denial of service attacks & massive SPAM floods) can imapct this board.

We're doing our best. Just not enough of us and we're doing to many other things, too.

Management regrets the inconvenience .... :oops:

the Admin
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice