ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Remove the ability to edit your post.

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BigAppleWoodenShoe

Remove the ability to edit your post.

Post by BigAppleWoodenShoe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:33 pm

Hello,
I have a suggestion for the administrator about the functions of this forum.

I would like to suggest to remove the ability to edit a post after somebody else has replied to it.
It has both positive and negative implications. The negative is that when you find that you have misspelled or misstated something, and somebody has replied to it, you cannot alter that.
On the other hand, people can now edit their post at any given time without anybody knowing it, when somebody changes its post, the whole thread doesn't make any sense anymore, this makes it easy to abuse this forum.

I know that this is a function in phpbb because I have worked with this software for a long time, in my own forum we had to make this decision as well, it is not a fun decision, but necessary.
Dutch husband, American wife, applied for a residence card, after 7 months got a Stamp 4 visa for two years. :)

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:54 am

Hi --

We are aware of the issue.

Until now we have relied on the maturity of our membership not to abuse the privilege.

However, I did read through a couple of recent threads where that feature was pretty clearly abused.

We are also not happy at all that our database has been altered by members to erase records of their previous posts, which seem to have been deliberately made to incite a reaction and then edited.

I personally have quite a bit of forum experience, and I have seen this type of abuse on a number of occasions.

I'm pretty sad we have members here that behave in such an ignorant and disrespectful manner.

Among our many other upcoming changes, we will put some protocol in place that will eliminate or severely limit that privilege.

the Admin

John

Post by John » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:02 am

Good idea Administrator. On another Board where I am a Moderator everyone apart from Moderators is limited to 30 minutes as regards the ability to edit or delete their posts.

In view of recent experience here we clearly need to install such a limitation here. It allows correction of spelling mistakes etc., spotted soon after posting, but prevents someone coming along days later and deleting their posts wholesale.
John

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:39 am

Yah ... I was thinking exactly of the 15 or 30 minute time limit. It's becoming common and nearly every forum I'm in uses it now.

It's also good to immediately retract a ... hmmm, hasty comment, but still preserve a record of it if the member doesn't voluntarily rethink it immediately.

the Admin