ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Suggestion: A 'Like' (thumbs up) feature

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

noajthan

Suggestion: A 'Like' (thumbs up) feature

Post by noajthan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:58 am

I have noticed the following suggestion in a member's post ...
Admins there should be a thumbs up button for the posts people agree to, I am having to type this message just to show my agreement with the last post ....
I would be interested to know:
  • does this forum support such a feature :?:
    would such a feature be deemed desirable and a value-add :?:
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Re: Suggestion: A 'Like' (thumbs up) feature

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:25 am

Tricky question.

Firstly, if an up-vote (thumbs up) option is being considered, it would be remiss not to consider a down-vote (thumbs down) option.

The risky part of such behavior is that contentious discussions (such as the one of the EU referendum) may become more visibly divisive by listing how many votes have been cast for and against.

An alternative would be a "thank" option, where a post can be "thanked" for useful information. This link provides some technical background for PHPBB forums.

Overall, I am leaning against the idea on the grounds that it will only cause bad blood and factionalism on these forums. But I am open to being persuaded otherwise.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:25 am

@secret.simon All very valid points and I must say that I agree. +1 (see what I did there?) :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

chriskv1
Member of Standing

Post by chriskv1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:10 pm

A lot of Karma mods are available on the PhpBB extensions database. It's easy to implement.

One I found : https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... for_posts/

But I'd vote against this , There's no actual need for this and I believe it deviate the forums from threads with actual value . I do not want people trying to gain "thanks" by reposting old posts , links .etc

Just my 2 p :D
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
Mahatma Gandhi

E&OE. I'm not a legal professional.