ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Timeline Threads - Why no discussions policy (Moderators)

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Timeline Threads - Why no discussions policy (Moderators)

Post by UKBALoveStory » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi guys,

Can anybody please explain to me why there is a "no discussion" policy on timeline threads? I am really struggling to understand the reasons. Most of the times the questions asked are relevant to the subject and it adds value to the timelines submitted. e.g. I asked (peepers) in Dec. 2015 timeline about his IELTS certificate submitted. The reason for the question is a a refusal recently mentioned by Sumatiya but my question was deleted. I am not sure what is the benefit of this policy?

IMHO, Any relevant questions/answers should be allowed as this will allow people to understand the dicussed case in a better manner. The timeline submitted normally is the bare minimum and lacks some crucial information.

This is just my opinion but moderators are the best people to explain/impose whatever they like :)
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

Casa

Re: Timeline Threads - Why no discussions policy (Moderators

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Timeline threads are for updates only, mainly due to the fact that members who simply want to follow a timeline, don't want to have to wade through chit chat and often off-topic discussions (and often complain to moderators at having to do so). As the saying goes...you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:28 pm

The clue is in the name: timeline.

When there are, for example, a dozen or more members posting questions and they get multiple random answers the result is a jumbled and confusing free-for-all.

Some get answers, some don't.
The answers are, as usual, of variable quality and can't always be taken at face value.

Such responses (all mixed up in the timeline) cannot be tested or improved or corrected very easily by other members' inputs;
- because in the meantime they get interrupted by further lines of different questions.
The nett result adds no value and is often misleading.

This is why there are different forums and sub-forums and many, many topics within them.
This approach also supports the Board's powerful search features

If the jumbled approach worked we would only ever need one forum with one open thread - clearly that's not going to fly.
(And have you ever tried to find something quickly in an 'under the stairs' junk cupboard?!).

If a member has a pressing question they are of course free to open a new topic.
Then the full benefits of the 'hive mind' of the forum can contribute and answer.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks for replying noajthan & Casa.

I fully understand the reasoning behind the "timeline" only threads. However, although, I do agree with Casa regarding "chit chat and often off-topic discussions" to be deleted but if a query is regarding a missing information that helps the general public (remember this forum is for general public and offers great help) to understand the case in a better manner should be allowed.

In my opinion a balance between off-topic discussions & "relevant" "circumstantial" questions is required.

But again, am I just a member and knows nothing :)
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:56 pm

In my opinion a balance between off-topic discussions & "relevant" "circumstantial" questions is required.
Yes, in a perfect word this could work. It is a pity that we have many members that don't see it like this or do and act like this and just 'jump on the bandwagon'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Too difficult to moderate, they tend to became a place for arguments, the use of foul language (not always English) etc.... Really we should have a spreadsheet kind of design. Perhaps in the future.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.