ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A few questions after obtaining PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

newrat

A few questions after obtaining PR

Post by newrat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 pm

I just received my BRP after applying for EEA PR as spouse of EEA citizen...woohooo! Three questions for you fine folk:

1. I haven't received my documents back yet. How long after do they usually arrive? We are moving house on Tuesday (house sale, unavoidable). How do I change address of document return?

2. BRP only says date card was issued, not date I obtained PR. Where can I find the latter? I assume this will be the date at which I can apply for citizenship?

3. Can I now apply for public funds (child benefits) without affecting my future citizenship application? I recall on the PR application it asks if you've taken public funds, which I'm assuming counts negatively against your application. Is it the same for citizenship?

Stay safe!

secret.simon

Re: A few questions after obtaining PR

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Did you apply for a Permanent Residence Card under the EEA Regulations (for which you would have paid £65) or did you apply for Settled Status (which would have been free)?

If the former, you would have received a letter with the Permanent Residence Card stating the date that you acquired PR on. You can apply for British citizenship one year after that date if you are not married to a British citizen.

If the latter, the date on the BRP is the date that you were granted Settled Status on (which works in a different way) and you will need to wait for one year from the date of the BRP to apply for British citizenship, assuming that you are not married to a British citizen.

If you are not sure of what you had applied for, reproduce an image of the card here, taking out all personally identifiable information, and we can guide you further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

newrat

Post by newrat » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:15 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:49 pm
Did you apply for a Permanent Residence Card under the EEA Regulations (for which you would have paid £65) or did you apply for Settled Status (which would have been free)?

If the former, you would have received a letter with the Permanent Residence Card stating the date that you acquired PR on.
I applied for the former, but have not received any such letter. Does it usually come after the BRP?

newrat

Post by newrat » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 pm

If someone could please let me know about the address change for documents that would be great. We're moving out tomorrow and really worried I'll lose my documents.