ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRC expired - pre settled status - how long it takes to renew?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Aah2022
Newly Registered

BRC expired - pre settled status - how long it takes to renew?

Post by Aah2022 » Mon May 09, 2022 8:27 pm

Hi everyone!

I am in a bit of a pickle here. My BRC was issued in 2017 for five years. My five years completed in 2021 but i applied for pre settled status and I got it in June 2021. I was eligible for settled status in July but I never applied (lazy).

Now I had no idea that new BRC was needed under the new rules. I want to travel now and found out that my BRC expired on 25 April this year. Even though my pre settled status is until 2026.

I have applied to get it renewed and it says it takes 8 weeks? It's also told me that I need to attend an appointment to give biometrics again!? I mean it's just renewal and I can't believe it would take this long?

Please can anyone offer some insight? Is there any number I can call? Technically I'm eligible for settled status so BRC should not take this long..

Thanks in advance

kamoe

Re: BRC expired - pre settled status - how long it takes to renew?

Post by kamoe » Tue May 10, 2022 1:37 pm

Aah2022 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:27 pm
Now I had no idea that new BRC was needed under the new rules. I want to travel now and found out that my BRC expired on 25 April this year. Even though my pre settled status is until 2026.
Technically speaking, the new status does not require you to have a physical document, you can still legally live and work with your electronic status until 2026. You would be fine... if you did not intend to go abroad at all. But yes, if you do intend to travel, then you need a physical card.
I have applied to get it renewed and it says it takes 8 weeks?
Mine took close to 5 months, although different people have different experiences.
It's also told me that I need to attend an appointment to give biometrics again!?
Again, depends on each case. I also had to re attend biometrics, although I had previously given biometrics 3 years before. But some people are told they can use the app instead of an appointment. I guess it has to be a very recent biometrics for them to be able to recycle them.
I mean it's just renewal and I can't believe it would take this long?
It's not a revnewal, it's a card under a new system, and yes, things can sometimes take time.
Please can anyone offer some insight? Is there any number I can call?
Don't waste your time calling anywhere. Just get on with the process.
Technically I'm eligible for settled status so BRC should not take this long.
Where do you get that from? Having settled status doesn't mean you are entitled to a shorter wait, I'm afraid. Again, all it's by case by case basis, it might not take that long, but there is also no guarantee of the wait being shorter.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.