ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

country of issue of a passport?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sc2012uk

country of issue of a passport?

Post by sc2012uk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm sorry if my question isn't in the right place but,
when Easyjet asks for "Country of issue" of my passport, do they always mean my country of origin (=nationality)?
For instance I'm Dutch but my passport was given out by the embassy in Bangkok (signed by dutch ambassador in bangkok).

That does not make Thailand the "country of issue" right?
I'm asking because Easyjet says on their website I will not be allowed to fly if I filled out wrong info.

thx!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Country of issue = The Netherlands.

Place of issue (if ever asked) would be Thailand.

For the Easyjet advance passenger information, the answer should be Netherlands (twice).

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: country of issue of a passport?

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:06 pm

sc2012uk wrote:I'm sorry if my question isn't in the right place but,
when Easyjet asks for "Country of issue" of my passport, do they always mean my country of origin (=nationality)?
For instance I'm Dutch but my passport was given out by the embassy in Bangkok (signed by dutch ambassador in bangkok).

That does not make Thailand the "country of issue" right?
I'm asking because Easyjet says on their website I will not be allowed to fly if I filled out wrong info.

thx!
Jambo's right. Complete the fields until they work properly.

This is a case of "Computer says No" (this is a joke in the off-chance you don't take it as such or have not seen the TV series).

sc2012uk

Post by sc2012uk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:00 pm

thx guys
looks like i will be getting on the plane ;)

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:37 am

This is something that I've got confused in the past as well. But then I reasoned that a foreign country can issue a passport to a foreign national in certain circumstances, which is why they ask both for your nationality and what country has issued your passport.

sc2012uk

Post by sc2012uk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 pm

ah ok....so thats why they ask for both nationality and country of issue (which in 99.99999% of cases will be the same i guess)

i wonder how many ppl did not get on their flight bacause they misinterpreted the question and answered wrongly.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I cannot see any airline (even the rogue ones like RyanAir or easyjet) refuse a passenger who shows up at the airport with correct documentation, but made a simple typing error during the online checkin process.
They would definitely be liable to compensation under the Denied Boarding Directive, face a fine from regulators perhaps and have a big dent in their reputation.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:59 am

fysicus wrote:I cannot see any airline (even the rogue ones like RyanAir or easyjet) refuse a passenger who shows up at the airport with correct documentation, but made a simple typing error during the online checkin process.
They would definitely be liable to compensation under the Denied Boarding Directive, face a fine from regulators perhaps and have a big dent in their reputation.
Have you ever flown Ryanair? :D

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:18 pm

I think the answer to that question is obvious...

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 am

fysicus wrote:I think the answer to that question is obvious...
Sorry, blanked out and haven't read properly. Ryanair still slaps you a £30 charge to change your check-in details on the gate, though.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:09 pm

That's one of the reasons why I consider them rogue; they grab every futile reason to squeeze more money out of passengers.
It's high time somebody sues them for extortion!

Dutchimmigrant
Newly Registered

Post by Dutchimmigrant » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:47 am

Hi,
I've just checked this with EasyJet, and this is their reply:
'Country of issue' refers to the country in which the passport was issued to you. In case of a passport being issued by the (Dutch) embassy in London the country of issue will be 'United Kingdom', and under 'nationality' you fill in 'Dutch'.

I assume this goes for any passport that has been issued by an ambassador: the country of issue will be the the country in which the passport was actually issued i.e. where the embassy is based.

Dutchimmigrant
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by Dutchimmigrant » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:50 am

Jambo wrote:Country of issue = The Netherlands.

For the Easyjet advance passenger information, the answer should be Netherlands (twice).
Hi,
I'm afraid this is incorrect.
I've just had a reply from EasyJet; the 'country of issue' is the country in which the embassy is based from where the passport was issued to you. For instance: our passports were issued by the Dutch ambassador in London. EasyJet wants to see under 'country of issue': United Kingdom (place of issue - if asked: London)

Hubba

Re: Re:

Post by Hubba » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:59 am

Dutchimmigrant wrote:
Jambo wrote:Country of issue = The Netherlands.

Hi,
I'm afraid this is incorrect.
I've just had a reply from EasyJet; the 'country of issue' is the country in which the embassy is based from where the passport was issued to you. For instance: our passports were issued by the Dutch ambassador in London. EasyJet wants to see under 'country of issue': United Kingdom (place of issue - if asked: London)
This is flat out wrong. Country of Issue is the Country which issued the document (i.e. If the passport was issued by Netherlands' Embassy - wherever such embassy is - the Country of Issue is Netherlands). Place of issue would be London - UK.

I've been living abroad for quite a long time now, having renewed my non-EEA passport twice here in the UK on my local embassy and never had any problems related to this, neither on Easyjet nor Ryanair.

Explaining a bit more why airlines ask both for passport's Country of Issue and the passenger's nationality:

Countries may issue passports to foreign ("alien") persons if such person can't obtain a passport for his home country (As an example - Edward Snowden's passport was revoked by US authorities - Russia may issue him an alien passport allowing him to travel). Such thing happens most of the cases if a citizen from a war torn country sees himself stranded in a foreign country with no valid travel document and no valid/recognised local diplomatic representation on such country. The Country of Issue on this case would be completely different from the nationality, which is why airlines ask both for the passport's Country of Issue and passenger's nationality.

Place of issue has absolutely no relevance for airlines. It doesn't matter if your Dutch passport was issued by the embassy in London or Tokyo. Your passport is still a Dutch travel document (in fact, the passport is not even yours - it belongs to the Dutch government and is consigned to you).

dk traveller
Newly Registered

Re: Easyjet country of issue of a passport?

Post by dk traveller » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 am

am with 'Dutchimmigrant' from earlier post - I was confused by this as well, so phoned easyjet for advice - im Danish, have Danish passport but have lived in the UK for many years and renew my passport at the Danish embassy in London UK who then sends it to Denmark for renewal (this is not mentioned on the passport, only I know that) . The passport says nationality - Danish, and Authority - Embassy in London UK- SO easyjet said that my Nationality is Danish but country of issue is UK as that's what it say on the passport.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 pm

That can't be right. The UK is not issuing your Danish passport, the Danish government is.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:59 pm

This thread is almost 4 years old - I suspect the bird has flown!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

dk traveler
Newly Registered

Post by dk traveler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 pm

yes know this is an old tread, but this bird is off in a fortnight and had the same question and this came up on Google when I searched for an answer :O) And no, didn't think either that country of issue being UK sounded right, so phoned Easyjet again to confirm, this time i was told its Denmark, so I will try my luck with that one :O) Any current (2016) advice from flyers in a similar situation?