ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Crossing UK border with a pre-settled EU family member permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

HXvIA4d9
Newly Registered
Mood:
Lithuania

Crossing UK border with a pre-settled EU family member permit

Post by HXvIA4d9 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:25 am

I have a pre-settled permit as a EU family member and non-EU passport.
I noticed that the way my documents are check when crossing the UK border is changed in 2022.
In 2021, the same documents would trigger a passport stamp and a fingerprint check. In 2022, none of these has happened so far. Recently I've been also asked a question for the first time ever while crossing the border with pre-settled documents: if I have any relatives in the UK - never happened before.

I was wondering if any procedures or legislation in relation to these border checks have changed?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Crossing UK border with a pre-settled EU family member permit

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:57 pm

UK Border Force officers always had powers to ask questions of EU travellers and/or their non-EU family members, happened to me a few times years before Brexit. Also occasionally reports they would stamp passports for no apparent reason (not mine though). After the end of the transition period from 1.1.2021 they are only bound by the UK immigration regulations (i.e. EU free movement law no longer applies).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe

Re: Crossing UK border with a pre-settled EU family member permit

Post by kamoe » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:24 pm

I am a non-EU family member, with EEA Residence Card before Brexit, and EUSS BRC after Brexit.

I have the impression that before Brexit most of the time they did:
a) Scan my fingertips
b) Take my picture
c) Ask me who my EU family member is, and where he is

And I think after Brexit they:
a) Scan my fingertips
b) Take my picture
c) Stamp my passport

But honestly I believe a few times they have done none of the above, or just a combination of one or two actions. It's a bit random, lately to be honest. I do not think there is a definite pattern.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.