ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent child from previous relationships via EUSS

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Andromeda13
Newly Registered

Dependent child from previous relationships via EUSS

Post by Andromeda13 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:41 pm

Dear all,
I was wondering if someone could share their experience with bringing a non-EEA child from previous relationships to the UK via EUSS.
Most immigration routes to the UK require to have "sole responsibility" for the child to bring them in.
Is this requirement valid for EUSS as well?
I am a non-EEA citizen with pre-settled status (moved before the end of the transition period), and the child (9 years) lives abroad with my ex-spouse.
Thank you in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Dependent child from previous relationships via EUSS

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:46 pm

Is your spouse an EEA citizen or is your pre-settled status based on some other relationship to an EEA citizen?

A non-EEA citizen with pre-settled status can't sponsor any family members until after they get Settled Status.

And then they can sponsor on the same terms as British citizens, including meeting the "sole responsibility" requirement.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Andromeda13
Newly Registered

Post by Andromeda13 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:56 pm

Yes, my current spouse is an EU citizen.
Asking, as gov.uk says following:
"Eligibility

Your child may be eligible for settled or pre-settled status if they are:

under 21
from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein - or you, or your spouse or civil partner, are"
In this case, I thought, I can bring a child.

Thank you for your reply.

Br28016
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Br28016 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:23 am

EU step parent can sponsor step children. I was sponsor for at the time my stepchildren.

Our situation was different in that wife and children were already in UK and we had gone through the spouse and dependents route already and had achieved sole responsibility requirement.

We were switching to EU settlement scheme as relevant person of northern ireland had only just opened up. We would have provided some of that evidence in eu settlement scheme application although dont think it was specific requirement.

One step child got pre settled status and other got settled status based on evidence.