ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Don't live in UK anymore but have 5 years continuous residence

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

opzigbag
Newly Registered
Germany

Don't live in UK anymore but have 5 years continuous residence

Post by opzigbag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:42 pm

I'm a German national who lived in the UK for 15 years, studying and then working. I left about 5 years ago and now live in Germany. I have been back to the UK on holiday at least once a year since then. Are there any options for people like me who don't currently live there but have put in the 5 years? Is it possible to get settled status using a friend's address? It seems unfair after brexit that I will not be able to return to work if I choose to.

Casa

Re: Don't live in UK anymore but have 5 years continuous residence

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:10 am

Your PR is now invalid due to your long absence from the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:36 pm

For the purpose of the Settled scheme, an absence of under 5 years does not break your residence rights for settled status.

Provided you have never been out of the UK for a complete period of 5 years, and not even visited during that intervening 5 years, you will qualify for settled status.

I do agree with the previous contributor that you have indeed lost your Permanent Residence status, but all may not be done with the Settlement scheme.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

opzigbag
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by opzigbag » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks so much both of you. What if it's been just over 5 years? What kind of proof do I need to provide?

So Obie, you're saying it's possible to apply even if I don't currently live in the UK? Using a friend's address?

opzigbag
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by opzigbag » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Could anyone get back to me regarding my last two queries? Keen to get this Settled Status sorted if possible.