ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit - Spouse Siblings

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ssarang
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit - Spouse Siblings

Post by ssarang » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi,
I am trying to see a roadmap to invite and settle my in-laws in UK under the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit/EEA Family Permit route. I'm posting here due to little and confusing information about extended family members.

A bit of background about me. I am a Portuguese national with settled status and permanent residence in UK. My wife is an Indian national (i.e. non-EU) with pre-settled status. I can see it is possible to apply for my father and mother in-law (i.e. my wife's parents) under the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit and invite them to apply for pre-settled status here. This seems straightforward and I personally know of family members who have done the same.

My wife's parents have 2 children (i.e. my wife's siblings aka my brother and sister in-law) who are both under 18 and dependent. It is not possible or feasible to leave them behind with another carer and I need a way for them come over settle as well. This is my main issue because I believe they would not be eligible under EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit.

I'm aware that after 1 Feb 2017 - spouse's family members such as sibling, uncle(s) ,aunt(s), etc. are not included, so EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit will be refused for them.

I see the following roadmap for inviting my in-laws over:
1. Apply for EU Settlement Scheme Family permit for my father and mother in-law.
2. Once the above is done, I can apply for EEA Family Permit for my brother/sister in-law on the basis that they are dependent children under 18 and that their parents (i.e. my father/mother in-law) will be travelling to UK to gain pre-settled status.
3. Either #2 will work and happy days as I presume I can apply for their pre-settled status as well by linking their application to their parents. Please correct if I'm mistaken.
4. But in a very possible scenario that #2 does not work, then I could sponsor them to join as family member of my wife.
4.a. In this case, once they are in UK, I could try to apply for their pre-settled status on the basis that their parents are here and have been granted a pre-settled status. If this works, then happy days! :D
4.b. But if they don't get pre-settled status, then one option I've been told was for my father/mother in law to show a combined/single income of £23500+ pa to keep their dependent kids in UK.

I hope I'm not mistaken in the options available to me, please correct if I'm wrong in anything here or if there is a better option to invite my wife's siblings (nope, I shall not be adopting my wife's sibling :? ).

Any advice here will be greatly appreciated!

TIA! :)