ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Permanent Resident?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pearllala
Newly Registered

EEA Permanent Resident?

Post by pearllala » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:04 pm

I am a non-eea national, East African, and live with my wife in Northern Ireland, who is Irish.

Initially I came here on an eea family permit and now hold a 5 year eea residence card.

I am also now an Irish citizen, having received this a short while ago based on my wife's Irish status and the qualifying period of our marriage.

As I am now an Irish citizen, do I still have to apply for eea permanent residence when my eea residence card runs out?

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Re: EEA Permanent Resident?

Post by Obie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:36 pm

You are not required to, but you could.

If you have lawfully resided in the UK for 5 years, then you may be entitled to apply for Naturalisation aswell.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Is an Irish national still deemed as settled in the UK on arrival?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:22 pm

I believe they are vinny.

Also see
[b]Irish citizens[/b] wrote:
Irish citizens are not subject to restrictions when they travel to the United
Kingdom. In order for their child to gain British nationality, they would have to
be considered as resident here in order to fulfil the requirements of the Act.
Irish citizens may be automatically accepted as settled for the purpose of
section (1)(1)(b) unless there is clear evidence to the contrary. For example,
if staff were advised that the parent was on a short visit to the UK, or that long
periods of residence had been spent outside the UK, it would be appropriate
to ask the applicant for further clarification.Following the introduction of the full birth certificate policy, it will now be
necessary to be satisfied that the parent is an Irish citizen. In the absence of an Irish passport, the parent’s birth certificate confirming birth in the Irish Republic before 1 Jan 2005 will be required, together with the parents'
marriage certificate if status is obtained through the father.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:05 pm

pearllala wrote:I am a non-eea national, East African, and live with my wife in Northern Ireland, who is Irish.

Initially I came here on an eea family permit and now hold a 5 year eea residence card.

I am also now an Irish citizen, having received this a short while ago based on my wife's Irish status and the qualifying period of our marriage.

As I am now an Irish citizen, do I still have to apply for eea permanent residence when my eea residence card runs out?

Thanks
You don't need to at all. However, why not apply for PR on your other passport? That would be good to have (my partner will be doing this). It's only 55 pounds after all.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:41 am

5E.
An Irish citizen who as a result of section 3ZA of the Immigration Act 1971 does not require leave to enter or remain is considered settled for the purposes of these rules.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.