Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

EEA RC: comprehensive health insurance

Use this section for queries concerning applications on any of the EEA series of forms, and also for applications for EEA Family Permits.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Newly Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 pm

EEA RC: comprehensive health insurance

Post by Jualo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Hello. I'm a Chilean living in UK, got here through a family permit (my wife is German, and currently studying here). I recently applied for a residence card (eea2) here in the UK, she applied for at the same time for a registration certificate (eea1).

Today we've received our application back, because we were missing "evidence to show you hold comprehensive health insurance whilst you are studying".

I've been trying to get some information about this, but there seems to be nothing. What exactly is a "comprehensive health insurance". Will it be enough if we send our NHS cards, or do we actually need to get private insurance?

If we need to go with private insurance, is a yearly contract enough, or do we need to show cover for the entire period of study (2.5 years left)?

Finally, the letter was addressed to my wife, and so it implies that she is the only one that need the insurance, to prove that she is exercising treaty rights as a student. Am I right, or do I also need to send this evidence for me?

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Diamond Member
Posts: 1363
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 11:07 am

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:40 pm

You will need comprehensive sickness insurance (private medical insurance) for the entire period of study. This should cover all family members.

Letter addressed to your wife possibly because she is the EU national exercising treaty rights on which your status depends in the UK.