ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Spouse applying for citizenship (pre-settled)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MM24

EEA Spouse applying for citizenship (pre-settled)

Post by MM24 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:55 pm

Hi

I am currently on pre-settled status and my EEA spouse (who has settled status) is applying for Naturalization. Will this affect my visa as it was attached to their settled status and will I then need to apply for a British spousal visa?

Sorry if this is the wrong place but as it wasnt related to an application and was across two different areas i wasnt sure.

secret.simon

Re: EEA Spouse applying for citizenship (pre-settled)

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:07 pm

MM24 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:55 pm
Will this affect my visa as it was attached to their settled status and will I then need to apply for a British spousal visa?
No.

You will continue on pre-settled status until the time you qualify for Settled Status.

If your EEA spouse has become a British citizen (after having attended the naturalisation ceremony) by then, you will be able to naturalise immediately after you have been granted Settled Status, assuming you meet the other requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MM24

Post by MM24 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Thank you for your help on this one, that cleared it up

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:48 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:07 pm
MM24 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:55 pm
Will this affect my visa as it was attached to their settled status and will I then need to apply for a British spousal visa?
No.

You will continue on pre-settled status until the time you qualify for Settled Status.

If your EEA spouse has become a British citizen (after having attended the naturalisation ceremony) by then, you will be able to naturalise immediately after you have been granted Settled Status, assuming you meet the other requirements.
There might a caveat though.

At least as of very recently, if by the time you are eligible for Settled Status your spouse has become a British Citizen, you will not be able to apply for Settled Status online. You will have to apply via the Lounes route, which is only paper-based. You need to call and ask for a paper form, and this does and processing time.

For this particular reason only my partner waited before applying for naturalisation until I got Settled Status. Not saying you have to wait, but something to keep in mind (then again you won't need to wait the extra year after Settled Status as @secret.simon explained, so that might balance things out).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Ingaevone
Newly Registered

Post by Ingaevone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:42 am

My understanding is that if your EU spouse is also a British citizen, they need to be exercising treaty rights (working or having sickness insurance) in order for the non EU spouse to get settled status. This is not a requirement if the EU spouse has Settled status but not British citizenship.

The application for Settled Status for a non-Eu spouse with a spouse who is both an EU and British citizen is called a Lounes application. This is a lot more complicated than an application where the EU spouse is not a British citizen.

I am not an immigration lawyer, so do not take this as advice. This is just my understanding of the situation. Maybe do more research on Lounes applications.