ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU child to join settle EU parent in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PAPITO
Mood:

EU child to join settle EU parent in UK

Post by PAPITO » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:41 am

HI
I have seen the Home Office website and it is confusing
My situation is as follow, hope someone please calrify

A 12 years old EU national coming to live with parent with Pre-settle status. Can come and apply for EU sttlement within 90 days of arriving ( For some people, the deadline of 30 June 2021 does not apply. This is true if you’re one of the following: the family member of someone from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein who was living here by 31 December 2020, and you join them in the UK on or after 1 April 2021) or apply for Family Permit from country of residence before coming to UK? (For some people, the deadline of 30 June 2021 does not apply. This is true if you’re one of the following: The family member of someone from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein who was living here by 31 December 2020, and you join them in the UK on or after 1 April 2021)

Also the passport is to expire in 5 months, and KLM is saying boarding will not be permitted if less than 6 months, however all they EU citizen needs is validity for the time it will remain in UK. We have boutght a return ticket to cover this in case she needs to.

Thanks for your help.!!!

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Re: EU child to join settle EU parent in UK

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:16 am

Can you renew the passport before the child travels? Just to be on the safe side?

Reading here, as your child is under 21, you should be able to do both https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immig ... er-brexit/
You will need their birth certificate with your full name on it
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

PAPITO
Mood:

Post by PAPITO » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:43 am

Hi
Still not clear if can just come to the uk using EU passport and apply here
Or apply fp before coming

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:37 am

Have you read the link I posted? It seems you can do either option for your child, it's your choice.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

PAPITO
Mood:

Post by PAPITO » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:31 pm

I read this and it does not said both options are available?
it says
If your family member is an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
Your family member should usually apply to the EU Settlement Scheme as a family member before they come to the UK. They’ll need to apply using the government’s ‘EU Exit’ app.

If your family member already has a valid visa, they can come to the UK on their visa and apply to the scheme when they arrive.

What does a "visa" mean if any EU citizen can travel without visa? Furthermore, the link is from CAB?

This is what I mean it is confusing to know. The detaisl on my original Post are from HO

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:36 pm

Yes, it is from citizen advice, I thought it would be helpful as it is phrased differently than the guidance issued by HO but still a reliable source.

This is the relevant part:

If your child is under 21, they can apply for a family permit or to the EU Settlement Scheme. Your child includes your step-child, adopted child, grandchild and great-grandchild.

If your child was born after 31 December 2020, you can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for them.

You can apply for your child or they can apply for themselves. You’ll need to prove how they’re related to you.

Proving your child’s relationship to you
If your child is an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you should use their birth or adoption certificate to prove their relationship to you. If the child is your grandchild or great-grandchild, you also need birth certificates that prove your relationship to their parent.

If your child is from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you should use their residence card to prove their identity. This means you don't have to prove their relationship to you because you proved it when you applied for the card.

If they don't have a residence card, you should use:

their birth certificate

their adoption certificate

their guardianship order - it’s important to get permission from the court that issued the order before you share it with the Home Office

a family permit

their birth certificate and your marriage or civil partnership certificate - if they’re your step-child

birth certificates that prove your relationship to their parent - if you’re their grandparent or great-grandparent

If you care for a child - for example, a foster child or a niece or nephew - the deadline for them to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme was 30 June 2021. They can make a late application to the scheme if both:

they have a residence card as an extended family member

they applied for the card by 31 December 2020

Try applying for a family permit and then convert to EUSS when your child comes to live in the UK.

PAPITO
Mood:

Post by PAPITO » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:51 pm

Ok then it is not what it says on the HO website.
it is confusing... From one side they are saying apply for FP or EU settlement before coming
From another they are saying you can apply for EU Settlement
the family member of someone from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein who was living here by 31 December 2020, and you join them in the UK on or after 1 April 2021

It does not say a Family Permit is needed before coming....

My question really is as EU can a child come with a valid passport and apply once in UK or is it necessary to apply for "family permit" or "EU settlement" before coming??

has this been answered before in the forums. I searched but could not find anything