ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alyo
Zambia

EU citizen

Post by alyo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:13 pm

Hi

on behalf of a friend

I am a swedish citizen living in the UK i have ILR and i am elgible to apply for citizenship in 11 months. My wife and children are my dependents who are a third country nationals ( Yemen)

They came to the UK 1 year after me . When i apply for citizenship they will be elegible for ILR.

Can they apply for citizenship with me? or wait till im granted 1st? and if i get granted Citizenship will they apply for ILR or Citizenship?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EU citizen

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:15 pm

Dependents need settled status first after 5 years residence before they can think about applying for citizenship.

Settled status/ILR is mandatory for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alyo
Zambia

Post by alyo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:18 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:15 pm
Dependents need settled status first after 5 years residence before they can think about applying for citizenship. Thank you for your reply. if he becomes british then does his dependents apply for ILR and wait 1 year and then apply for citizenship?

or straight to Citizenship?

thanks

Settled status/ILR is mandatory for citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 pm

Once dependents have settled status/ILR they can apply for citizenship immediately if the EU spouse is British and the dependent spouse meets all the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alyo
Zambia

Post by alyo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:22 pm

from what i read that if your spouse is british then you apply for citizenship straight away and not wait for 1 year on ILR.

Is that correct?

When he applies for citizenship she is elegible for ILR . so what should she do?
thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:24 pm

That is what I said is it not??

She can only apply without waiting 12 months if her spouse is British at that time, IE attended his ceremony and received his naturalisation certificate.

She cannot apply for citizenship without waiting 12 months if her spouse is not British. This rule is very clear.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:01 pm

The child ought to have been granted settled status.

The child can be registered whilst the mother will have to wait until she has acquired settled status and can then apply under section 6(2).
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

alyo
Zambia

Post by alyo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Does that mean that the children are elegible for ILR now? even though they have not completed 5 years?