ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS Family Permit Online relationship

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bluewave
Newly Registered
Mood:
Germany

EUSS Family Permit Online relationship

Post by bluewave » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the EUSS FP to see if anyone was in a similar situation.
I got settled status in the UK and my partner is in a non-EU country thinking of applying for the EUSS family permit.
We met many years ago when I was on holidays, and since stayed in contact online, eventually moving onto a long-distance relationship :)
We planned on getting married in 2020 in person, but due to COVID the ceremony was moved to online, with me being in the UK and my partner being back home.
My question is would this type of relationship be a straight up refusal when applying for the EUSS family permit? We have the original marriage certificate, but no pictures of us physically together on the wedding day, only separate pictures. We also made the mistake of not taking any pictures when we first met... (we never thought we would get married lol). We also have a holiday booked together next year, where we will meet physically and could take pictures then. However, having read many posts on here mentioning the long waiting times with the application, we wanted to apply as soon as possible... :(
So my question is, should I apply now and state that the relationship has been online only? Or should I wait until we meet physically? :? Any advice would be really appreciated :)

kamoe

Re: EUSS Family Permit Online relationship

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:41 pm

bluewave wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:01 pm
My question is would this type of relationship be a straight up refusal when applying for the EUSS family permit?
First, a couple of questions:

1. When did you get married?
2. Are you married legally, as recognised by the UK? (for example, islamic marriage isn't recognized in the UK, and many members of this forum do have this type of union and call it marriage, hence why I have to ask).

Secondly, your case won't be straightforward, they will indeed ask you to prove that you are not a sham marriage, but they will consider all the burden of proof before refusing. So, no, it will not be a straight refusal. A very different story would be if you were not married, and only on an online, long-distance unmarried relationship. Then it would be a straight refusal.
We have the original marriage certificate, but no pictures of us physically together on the wedding day, only separate pictures. We also made the mistake of not taking any pictures when we first met... (we never thought we would get married lol). We also have a holiday booked together next year, where we will meet physically and could take pictures then.
What will have the most weight in your case is evidence of your continued interactions throughout the months/years. Not saying you should supply a list of all your online conversations, but proof that you have kept in regular contact throughout the years/months, for example; and that you have solid plans together. It is a good idea to be selective, for example, the ten most relevant interactions. By relevant I mean financial. Discussions re. future house payments, sharing of responsibilities, sharing of money in previous/future travels (who paid/is going to pay the hotel, the restaurant, the concert tickets, that sort of thing). And if you can (even if difficult since you haven't cohabited), having some friends who know your relationship write a letter vouching for you as a couple is a classic additional non negligible support.
However, having read many posts on here mentioning the long waiting times with the application, we wanted to apply as soon as possible... :(
Yes, it is taking months for some people, so you need to take this into account.
So my question is, should I apply now and state that the relationship has been online only? Or should I wait until we meet physically? :?
In any case you still have to say that you have known each other mainly online. A few days face-to-face is not going to substantially change the nature of your relationship. Each case is different and everyone has different plans and constraints. If your application is complete and with solid proof, in my opinion, it has the same chances of succeeding than if you add a few recent pictures of a holiday. It is really up to you to decide.
Any advice would be really appreciated :)
Please note that only a qualified immigration adviser can tell you what to do. What we aim to do here is give you the facts, for you to decide your best course of action.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.