ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Evidence of durable relationship, NI partner

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Patricia123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Evidence of durable relationship, NI partner

Post by Patricia123 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:22 pm

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help.

My partner is Australian and I am from Northern Ireland. We have been together for over 8 years but a large majority of this was long distance relationships with frequent trips over and back for both of us. As of Feb 2019 my partner got an ancestry UK visa and has lived in NI since. However we only lived together briefly and are only now looking to properly settle down together. We are struggling with what evidence we can show to prove our relationship. We have some bills from when we lived together but that's it. It seems unfair that my partner would be excluded simply because we haven't lived together. Has anyone been in this situation and know what other evidence we can provide? We have photos and messages etc from the last 8 hrs but I doubt that would be accepted? Any advice appreciated. Thank you

kamoe

Re: Evidence of durable relationship, NI partner

Post by kamoe » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi Patricia

Welcome, and hope the below helps:
Patricia123 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:22 pm
We have been together for over 8 years but a large majority of this was long distance relationships with frequent trips over and back for both of us.
Here's the thing: A very long relationship does not in itself meet the definition of "durable partner" required by the unmarried partner route. Not saying I agree or disagree, I am just offering the facts of how this route works.

The key to qualify is to usually prove:
  • a two-year cohabitation period (although sometimes other factors compensate for lack of the required time) AND
  • a history of joint financial commitments.
In short, what the Home Office is looking for is to establish if the couple is already living in a committed relationship 'akin to marriage'.
However we only lived together briefly and are only now looking to properly settle down together.
In your own words, your couple has plans for the future rather than a history of an already settled relationship. That does not describe a relationship as 'akin to marriage'.

The one thing most people get confused about is that the unmarried partner route is not a route for boyfriend/girlfriend couples who want to form a household. It is a route for people who have already established a household together. (There is A LOT of misinformation about what qualifies as 'unmarried partner', and I recommend you read this post).
It seems unfair that my partner would be excluded simply because we haven't lived together.
Well... I feel your pain, but objectively, why is it unfair to be excluded from a route for which you do not meet the requirements? Not being eligible for this route does not mean other routes that better describe your situation are not available.
Has anyone been in this situation and know what other evidence we can provide? We have photos and messages etc from the last 8 hrs but I doubt that would be accepted? Any advice appreciated. Thank you
Do you have any other form of significant long-term commitment to your partner, such as the joint responsibility of raising children, or a joint mortgage? (That is the level of commitment the HO would look for when accepting applications from couples who haven't cohabited for two years).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.