ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is continuity of residence discrubted with custody?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Is continuity of residence discrubted with custody?

Post by 7376 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Dear all,

I am wondering if you know whether a continuity of 5 years for PR for NON EU family member is disrupted with a 3 months custody from which 1.5 months was served on a licence?

I arrived in 2013 January on a family permit, received a residence card in May and applied for PR in May 2018.
The link: http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Regs20… ... ulation_03 where it says so. I wonder whether such a short time stops the five years then?
And this link says 2016 would not it be a subject to rules before 2016 if arrived in 2013?
Thank you for your advise.

Betta

secret.simon

Re: Is continuity of residence discrubted with custody?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:52 pm

7376 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 pm
I am wondering if you know whether a continuity of 5 years for PR for NON EU family member is disrupted with a 3 months custody from which 1.5 months was served on a licence?
Yes.
Regulation 3 of the EEA Regulations 2016 wrote:(3) Continuity of residence is broken when—
(a) a person serves a sentence of imprisonment;
The 2016 Regulations would apply to any PR Card application made after it came into force.

However, given that Directive 2004/38/EC does not make any provision for breakage of continuity of residence in the case of imprisonment, I think there would be grounds for appealing a refusal.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Re: Is continuity of residence discrubted with custody?

Post by 7376 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:34 pm

secret.simon @secret.simon
Dear Simon,

I appreciate your quick reply.
I have received an email from the home office stating that based on this directive the continuity has been broken and that they can offer me another residence card. And that I should reply whether I am happy with it.

So I thought I would say yes but the person from the Home office seems to be quite nice so do you think that the link you provided would make a difference or should I accent the residence card?

Many many thanks,

Petra