ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage presettlement

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gianig
Newly Registered
Argentina

Marriage presettlement

Post by gianig » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:23 pm

Hi

The son of my Italian wife came to the UK with a family member’s pre-settlement status. He arrived before 30/06/2021. After obtaining an Italian passport with his date of birth, he updated the information on the pre-settlement webpage. Now he has a job and wants to bring his fiancée to the UK for marriage. Can he do it?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Marriage presettlement

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:17 pm

gianig wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:23 pm
Hi

The son of my Italian wife came to the UK with a family member’s pre-settlement status. He arrived before 30/06/2021. After obtaining an Italian passport with his date of birth, he updated the information on the pre-settlement webpage. Now he has a job and wants to bring his fiancée to the UK for marriage. Can he do it?
No, as he will be unable to sponsor anyone on a settlement visa until he holds settled status. Also the conditions for a fiance or spouse visa will be under the UK Immigration Rules.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

gianig
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by gianig » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:18 pm

Thank you for your answer. I believed that after he provided the documentation with his Italian passport from the EU, he could continue independently and attain full pre-settlement rights, considering his immigration status would now be ‘Pre-settled’ and not associated with an EU settlement family member.

However, you mentioned that he continues to be connected with the EU settlement family member. Is this correct? Would it not be possible to rectify this with the Home Office?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:02 pm

gianig wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:18 pm
Thank you for your answer. I believed that after he provided the documentation with his Italian passport from the EU, he could continue independently and attain full pre-settlement rights, considering his immigration status would now be ‘Pre-settled’ and not associated with an EU settlement family member.

However, you mentioned that he continues to be connected with the EU settlement family member. Is this correct? Would it not be possible to rectify this with the Home Office?
He is required to have 5 years of residence in the UK in order to qualify for settled status. i,e Permanent Residence, Without that, he will be unable to sponsor anyone for a UK settlement visa.
The UK Immigration Rules are also much stricter, with more conditions than the EU settlement scheme. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:28 pm

Regardless of dependency, it's the status (settled or pre settled) that makes the difference. Settled status allows sponsoring. Pre settled doesn't.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:14 pm

gianig wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:18 pm
I believed that after he provided the documentation with his Italian passport from the EU, he could continue independently and attain full pre-settlement rights, considering his immigration status would now be ‘Pre-settled’ and not associated with an EU settlement family member.
No.

In order for him to enjoy independent status under the EU Settlement Scheme as a EU citizen on his own right (that is, not dependent on another EU sponsor) he would need to have been an Italian citizen residing in the UK before 31st December 2020. This is not retroactive. The rules are clear to state the condition that the relevant EU national needs to have started a continuous period of residence as a EU citizen before this date, so his becoming an Italian citizen after this cut off date won't make him qualify.
There is nothing to rectify since there is nothing incorrect about him still being considered as a EU joining family member. That is the correct category for him.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:32 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:14 pm
The rules are clear to state the condition that the relevant EU national needs to have started a continuous period of residence as a EU citizen before this date, so his becoming an Italian citizen after this cut off date won't make him qualify.
There was a discussion about this ( post2110748.html#p2110748 ) since Italian citizenship is sometimes reinstated as if it was since birth - not sure if it's relevant here, but could be.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:16 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:32 pm
Italian citizenship is sometimes reinstated as if it was since birth - not sure if it's relevant here, but could be.
True. If, and only if, the OP's son arrived in the UK before 31st December 2020.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:18 am

gianig wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:23 pm
He arrived before 30/06/2021.
June 30th 2021 was not the deadline for arriving, but the deadline for applying. The deadline for arriving as a EU citizen was December 31st 2020.

Joining family members (wether these are EU citizens or not) have never had a deadline for arriving in the UK, but these can only join the EU Settlement Scheme as dependent on a EU sponsor.

When exactly did your son arrive in the UK?