ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship whilst on EUSS

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

iwolga

New citizenship whilst on EUSS

Post by iwolga » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:52 am

Hi Everyone,

I have EUSS pre-settled status as a non-EU spouse of EU citizen. I came to UK on EEA Family Permit, then had a EEA2 card and then pre-settled status if it makes any difference.

I am now ready to apply for another citizenship (from EU home country of my husband) and I'm wondering how this will affect my EUSS status. I'm not planning to give up my current citizenship but for airport checks etc it's easier to have my EUSS linked to EU passport.

Is there a process to switch? I know I can update my passport details (eg new passport) but I'm not sure I can change nationality easily. If so, will my 5 year timer to settled status reset or will this count as a continuous residency on the same grounds?

kamoe

Re: New citizenship whilst on EUSS

Post by kamoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:58 pm

iwolga wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:52 am
will my 5 year timer to settled status reset
Of course not. You are overthinking this. What I can see happening is that you might end up with two different timelines, one as an EU citizen who just started their clock; and one non-EU citizen who has accrued some time in their clock. But you won't lose your accrued time.

You could try and see for yourself if the process to update documents works with your new passport, it might. BUT... seeing that there appears to be still glitches with the systems, I will be personally inclined not to fiddle too much with the online status system, leave it as it is, and simply carry both passports and relevant BRC/BRP at all times. For me this is a perfect example of "better safe than sorry".

But if anyone has had a positive experience doing what the OP suggests, please do share, curious to know how that works.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:44 pm

Thanks, kamoe. I think once I get the passport I will try to add additional one online (looks like this option has now been added to a list of options). Then I’ll see if I can do it in existing profile.

You are right about “better safe than sorry” - I don’t want to mess up with the system that so far seems to be fixed for me.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:16 am

Irish citizenship (I assume you're aiming for it) takes about 1,5 - 2 years to achieve anyway, so you might already be on settled status or close to it by the time you get the new documents, so you might be able to perform the change during the application process.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

imbik
Mood:
Turkey

Post by imbik » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Just like Kamoe said you are over thinking :) let me share our situation as it is exactly the same as yours. We are a family of four (my wife is EU citizen, myself and our 2 children are non-EU), we all have settled status. Last April my 2 children became EU citizen through my wife so they are now dual citizens like you will become in the near future.

I wanted them to use EU passport instead of the previous one so I tried to change their nationality online using "update your details" link on Home office website. However, you can update your name, status, address, etc. but not your nationality so I emailed to Home office and asked what should I do. They said that they needed to see the new passports physically so I posted the passports, copies of old passports and RC cards along with a letter explaining the whole situation.

2 months later we received the passports back with a letter basically saying "your request is in progress". I did not check it online but since then my two children travelled from and to UK by EU passport with no issues. In fact, I am the only one in the family waiting in a long queue for non-EU citizens at airports while they pass through automatic gates and laugh at me :)
I love science

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:30 pm

meself2 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:16 am
Irish citizenship (I assume you're aiming for it) takes about 1,5 - 2 years to achieve anyway, so you might already be on settled status or close to it by the time you get the new documents, so you might be able to perform the change during the application process.
Hi, no, it's actually Dutch one that I'm after. It says it takes up to 1 year but I can see that the waiting tie now is between 6 and 8 months. :D

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:34 pm

imbik wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:59 pm
Just like Kamoe said you are over thinking :) let me share our situation as it is exactly the same as yours. We are a family of four (my wife is EU citizen, myself and our 2 children are non-EU), we all have settled status. Last April my 2 children became EU citizen through my wife so they are now dual citizens like you will become in the near future.

I wanted them to use EU passport instead of the previous one so I tried to change their nationality online using "update your details" link on Home office website. However, you can update your name, status, address, etc. but not your nationality so I emailed to Home office and asked what should I do. They said that they needed to see the new passports physically so I posted the passports, copies of old passports and RC cards along with a letter explaining the whole situation.

2 months later we received the passports back with a letter basically saying "your request is in progress". I did not check it online but since then my two children travelled from and to UK by EU passport with no issues. In fact, I am the only one in the family waiting in a long queue for non-EU citizens at airports while they pass through automatic gates and laugh at me :)
Hi and thank you for sharing your experience, that's useful! I will try to avoid sending originals of passports to Home Office at all costs (even though I assume it's not entirely avoidable).

imbik
Mood:
Turkey

Post by imbik » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:25 pm

iwolga wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:34 pm
imbik wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Hi and thank you for sharing your experience, that's useful! I will try to avoid sending originals of passports to Home Office at all costs (even though I assume it's not entirely avoidable).
Thank you and good luck with your future endeavours :) because God knows how many times I posted our passports to Home office. By the way, you are right because, I too, heard about countless lost passports/driving licences, etc. However it is compulsory as they want to see the original one and check its authenticity :(
I love science