Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

non-EU family member of EEA national - relatives visiting

Use this section for queries concerning applications on any of the EEA series of forms, and also for applications for EEA Family Permits.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Newly Registered
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

non-EU family member of EEA national - relatives visiting

Post by simple_shoes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi all, I need an advise on the situation I am going through now. I am a non-EU national married to EEA national, living in UK with relevant Residence Permit for more than a year already.

My brother and his unmarried partner want to come to UK as tourists. In the application they are supposed to mention me as their family/relative living in UK. Could it be a problem for The Visa Section at the UK Embassy that I am not inviting them as Family members and they are applying for Tourist visa?
They are paying for their visit by themselves and they won't be visiting me, we plan to meet in London and this is what I state in the cover letter for their application. They will also submit the photocopy of my RC and info from my employer stating my salary.

What do you think? Would it be safe to apply for tourist visa in their case or is it better to go for a family visa?
Thank you for your help.

Senior Member
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 9:04 am
Location: England

Post by fysicus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:30 pm

What choice do you have? Your brother and his partner are not eligible for an EEA Family Permit (if that's what you mean by family visa).

If they are not coming to visit you, I think you should stay out of the process altogether, and certainly don't send any information about your salary and/or employer (I think this would raise suspicions rather than be helpful).
If they are interviewed as part of the application process, it may be handy for them to have a copy of your RC, just in case. But for the rest it is up to them to convince the ECO that they will leave the UK, just like any other visitor.