ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EU Marrying a Swiss Citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zoko37
Newly Registered

Non EU Marrying a Swiss Citizen

Post by zoko37 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Hello Forum Enthusiasts,

I am a Non EU national currently living and working in the UK for the last 3 years. I am currently on a company sponsored visa which expires in Jan-2017 after which i have to leave the UK as per the current immigration rules.

My girl friend who is a Naturalized Swiss citizen lives and works in Swiss, we are planning to get married mid next year (Jun-2014) in Swiss as per Swiss law. She has never lived in the UK but has visited me many times.

I would like to know if i am eligible to apply spouse dependent visa after i get married? If in case i am eligible for a dependent visa what will be the dependent visa called? I mean is it a B permit or C permit? (Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the permit types)

In case if i get the relevant permit, will i be able to continue my job in the UK? Obviously i have a valid UK visa until 2017 but once my UK visa expires will the Swiss permit allow me to legally continue my job in the UK?

After wedding i will have to continue my job in the UK because of various reasons and my spouse will be in Swiss as she has few commitments and also she would be applying for a post graduation degree in Swiss. Therefore she will be shuttling between Swiss and UK, like 6 months here and there because she would be pursuing her post graduation in Swiss.

So my questions are,

1. Will i get a dependent permit in Swiss after marriage?
2. Can i use the Swiss dependent permit to work in UK after my UK visa expires? Given that my wife will not be living with me in the UK until she completes her graduation.
3. Do i have to inform the consulate of my origin country that i am marrying a Swiss citizen?
4. Do i have to inform the UK home office that i have married an Swiss citizen for me to prolong my stay in UK? Is that possible?
5. Will UK govt allow me to stay and work in UK if my wife is not living with me in the UK?

I hope i am making sense.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Last edited by zoko37 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 pm

The UK treats Swiss nationals as if they were EU nationals. The same rights as are given in the Immigrations (EEA 2006) regulations apply.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 pm

I am moving this to a more appropriate forum section.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 pm

If you have been continuously meeting the conditions of your employment visa then next year (5th) you can apply ILR (settlement) under uk rule based on your own activities otherwise you need to wait another 5 years and be depended on eea national activities. yes upon marrying Swiss national you will have right to work if Swiss national is a qualified person.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

zoko37
Newly Registered

Post by zoko37 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks a lot to everyone for getting back.

Hi Sheraz,

I am not eligible for UK ILR and its something that i am not looking forward to.

Any idea what type of permit a Swiss dependent gets?Will that permit allow me to legally work in UK?

Thanks,

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Once you married to Swiss national who exercising its treaty rights by worker/student/self employed/self sufficient etc then you can apply 5 years eea2 residence permit which will allow you to undertake any work/business in contrary to uk based work permit where one need to tied up with one single employer.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:13 pm

zoko37 wrote:Thanks a lot to everyone for getting back.

Hi Sheraz,

I am not eligible for UK ILR and its something that i am not looking forward to.

Any idea what type of permit a Swiss dependent gets?Will that permit allow me to legally work in UK?

Thanks,
See UKBA - EU nationals - see EEA2.