ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence or settled status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

svalavil

Permanent residence or settled status?

Post by svalavil » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:16 am

Hi All,

Can anyone help on my doubts please

I'm married to EU citizen on 2014 October and i got my residence card on February 2018

According to my understating i'm eligible for permanent residence from date of marriage. Is that correct guys?

My question is what's the difference between permanent residence card and settled status?

Which one i need to apply for?

Can anyone please advise me on this.

Best Regards

Kmoney1

Re: Permanent residence or settled status?

Post by Kmoney1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 am

Permanent residency is based on eu law which all hold would later need to convert to settled status as brexit continies..
Settled status is based on uk law as uk progresses to leave the eu. indefinite leave to remain
So settled status is more relief and quicker outcome to acquire compare to permanent residency.

hrak1978
Member of Standing

Post by hrak1978 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:07 am

Kmoney1 is correct.

And honestly I suffered alot when I applied for PR. They are very brutal I mean EU case worker team.

Apply for SETTLED Status. It is extremely quick. You can check my history.

Good luck
{ I'm not a solicitor, legal professional or immigration advisor, all of my posts are based on my online search and my own PR, ILR (LR), 2 FTT and 2 UTT refused but finally after 3 years of long battle I got my SETTLED STATUS. }

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:55 pm

svalavil wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:16 am
I'm married to EU citizen on 2014 October and i got my residence card on February 2018

According to my understating i'm eligible for permanent residence from date of marriage. Is that correct guys?
Your are eligible for permanent residence once you complete 5 years of UK residence spent as the family member of an EU national who is exercising treaty rights/ is a qualified person throughout those 5 years.

So the above is only correct if you have lived in the UK throughout the 5 years, you have been married to the EU citizen, and that EU citizen has been a qualified person throughout (gaps of no more than 6 months in a year).

If you have been married for 5 years but only started living in the UK a year ago, then no.
If you have been married for 5 years and have lived for 5 years in the UK, but there are gaps of more than 6 months in a year in your EU spouse's status as a qualified person, then no.
My question is what's the difference between permanent residence card and settled status?
Permanent Residence is given under EU law.
Settled Status is given under UK law.

Both grant the right to live and work in the UK permanently, but Permanent Residence will cease to be valid eventually after Brexit. You might want to check this post, where pros and cons of each route are explained in detail.
Which one i need to apply for?

Can anyone please advise me on this.
Everyone wanted to stay in the UK after Brexit will eventually need to apply for Settled Status, but in thsi transition period it all depends on your circumstances. Do take a look at the pros and cos post above.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

svalavil

Post by svalavil » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:56 am

Thank you very much guys.

Really sorry for late reply guys.

I lived in UK last 5 years after marriage she was exercising treat as well.

While applying for settled status do I need show my pay slips or just wife payslips and bank statements enough for last 5 years.

She lives in 🇬🇧 last 9 years and still didn’t applied for permanent residence or settle status. I was thinking to apply on same time. Is that okay ?

Can you please advise me.

Thanks

jmedina
Mood:
Argentina

Post by jmedina » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:10 am

Yes, have her apply first, and then, with the reference number of her application, you have to apply afterwards giving her reference number.