Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of presence in the UK

Use this section for queries concerning applications on any of the EEA series of forms, and also for applications for EEA Family Permits.

Moderators: Casa, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John

Post Reply
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 pm

Proof of presence in the UK

Post by manolesta » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:38 am

Hi guys, there's something that is worrying me, hope some of you can explain me how it works.

I am Italian and I have had Settled Status since January 2019.
Since then, I have never worked (due to personal reasons) and neither I have been registered at the Job centre.

I know that Settled Status allows a maximum of 5 continuous years of absences from the UK (I have only been absent for a month).

Let's say I won't work until January 2024.

If in the future (for whatever the reason), I will have to demonstrate that I have never been out of the UK for more than 5 continuous years:

Q: How will I be able to do that (EU passport doesn't get stamped, visit to gp, dentists are not full days... )?

Q: Is there a way to have something official of any form that demonstrate that I am present in the UK even for a week (Council tax, bills and bank statements don't count for this purpose as far as I am aware..)?

Q: Is it possible the only way for a European, to proof is in the UK is working or being registered at the job centre?

Thanks guys, just worried to lose my Settled Status in the future, for not being able to proof that I am here..

User avatar
Posts: 5819
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks

Re: Proof of presence in the UK

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:12 am

I suggest you keep sufficient documentation in line with what is acceptable for EUSS now if you were applying for the first time, after pre-settled status. This includes bills, statements, etc. There is no official mechanism as such whereby UKVI contact you to check whether you haven't been away for five years (as far as I know). If (or when) you are travelling a lot I would keep evidence of outward/inward travel.
If you are considering naturalisation then the requirements for residency proof are more restrictive, however Council Tax bills and other official type documents will be sufficient, even if you don't work. In any case the burden of proof is always with the applicant or status holder.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Post Reply