ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Pre-Setteled to Settled when wasn't on pre-settled for 5 years

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ben871871
Newly Registered
Portugal

Switching from Pre-Setteled to Settled when wasn't on pre-settled for 5 years

Post by Ben871871 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 am

Hi all,

I arrived to live in the UK early March 2018 on a Tier 2 skilled worker visa.
I did not have an EU citizenship at the time.

I then received a Portuguese nationality on December 2018 and then I applied and received pre-settled status on May 2019.

Since 5 years have passed since I moved to live and work in the UK I applied to switch to a Settled status.

However, home office emailed me back and asked to provide them:
"Evidence that you have held Portugal nationality for the continuous qualifying period that you are relying on.
This could be in the form of a previously-issued Portugal passport or national identity card,
or documentation given to you when you obtained this nationality if you have not held Portugal nationality from birth."

Since I only received my Portuguese nationality at the end of 2018 I cannot supply the evidence they are asking for.
I uploaded a cover letter explaining the above with my Tier 2 documents and full 5 years evidence of residency.

However, they insist on getting this evidence that I've held Portugal nationality for the continuous qualifying period.
I tried calling them multiple times but they are only adding notes to the application and I keep getting the same request for evidence after.

To my understanding there is no requirement on gov.uk that suggests that Tier 2 visa cannot be counted towards the 5 years residency.

Am I wrong here? can someone suggest any way forward with this?

Many Thanks,
Ben

meself2
Ireland

Re: Switching from Pre-Setteled to Settled when wasn't on pre-settled for 5 years

Post by meself2 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:39 am

Ben871871 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:23 am
To my understanding there is no requirement on gov.uk that suggests that Tier 2 visa cannot be counted towards the 5 years residency.
As you were not an EU citizen at the time, it doesn't count for EUSS - it has to be 5 years as a EU citizen (in your case). For links and references see post2108198.html#p2108198
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ben871871
Newly Registered
Portugal

Re: Switching from Pre-Setteled to Settled when wasn't on pre-settled for 5 years

Post by Ben871871 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:24 am

So if I had stayed on a Tier 2 Visa I could have now applied for ILR?
But because I changed status to pre-settled I need to wait another year??

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:50 am

Ben871871 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:24 am
Basically, yes. Settled status has its advantages (the process is free and it'll lapse if you're out for 5 years, not 2), but the trade off in your case is another year.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:34 pm

How you acquired Portuguese citizenship may be very pertinent. Also see this thread for a similar discussion.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:38 pm

Ben871871 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:24 am
Yes, but on a much, much more expensive route.
You just need to wait until December 2023, which is 5 years after you acquired your Portuguese nationality (if it is the case that you can only be considered a Portuguese national after December 2018. See @secret.simon's note above). But in any case, you don't have to wait for 5 years after the issuing of your pre-settlement status, your continuous qualifying period starts the second you meet both conditions of 1) being a EU national AND 2) being a UK resident, so your clock starts in December 2018, not in May 2019.

That's only 8 months from now. I know, it's some time, but not that much.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.