ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

euspouse07
Mood:
Ireland

Travelling to UK

Post by euspouse07 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 am

I am opening this thread to discuss /share the experience of travelling in to UK with the new BRP card/ digital status .

1) Do non -eu citizens ( holders of BRP CARD) need to have sharer code with them while approaching the immigration officer / airlines staff?

2) Do the same apply to the EU NATIONALS as they won’t be carrying any physical evidence related to their immigration status but just the digital form of status ?

Please share from your experience.
Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Travelling to UK

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:30 pm

I have no experience of Settled Status but from what I read:
- Status of EU citizens is linked to the Passport/ID card originally used to apply. Share code is not used.
- Status of non-EU family members is linked to their BRP card, not sure whether to passport as well, but you need both for travel anyway. Again, share code not required.
Note that Border Force has direct access to systems so share code wouldn't make sense anyway.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:27 pm

euspouse07 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 am
I am opening this thread to discuss /share the experience of travelling in to UK with the new BRP card/ digital status .

1) Do non -eu citizens ( holders of BRP CARD) need to have sharer code with them while approaching the immigration officer / airlines staff?

2) Do the same apply to the EU NATIONALS as they won’t be carrying any physical evidence related to their immigration status but just the digital form of status ?

Thanks
You are mixing up two separate things:

1. How to prove your right to live and work in the UK to a landlord or employer. This is supposed to be done via a share code that employers and landlords can check online.

2. How to prove your right to enter or remain to airlines and UK border control.

a) Airlines will almost always require a physical document, like UK or European passport, or a BRP/BRC or visa for non-EU passport holders. (Airlines don't bother to check EUSS status, a EU passport in itself is good.)

b) UK border control have access to the system that checks electronic EUSS status, so as far as you produce the document that you applied with for your status (usually, passports for EU nationals, BRP/BRC for non
EU nationals) then you will be good.

A share code is useless for both a) and b) above.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

imbik
Mood:
Turkey

Post by imbik » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:21 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:27 pm
euspouse07 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 am

Thanks
You are mixing up two separate things:

1. How to prove your right to live and work in the UK to a landlord or employer. This is supposed to be done via a share code that employers and landlords can check online.

2. How to prove your right to enter or remain to airlines and UK border control.

a) Airlines will almost always require a physical document, like UK or European passport, or a BRP/BRC or visa for non-EU passport holders. (Airlines don't bother to check EUSS status, a EU passport in itself is good.)

b) UK border control have access to the system that checks electronic EUSS status, so as far as you produce the document that you applied with for your status (usually, passports for EU nationals, BRP/BRC for non
EU nationals) then you will be good.

A share code is useless for both a) and b) above.
just wanted to add something to b) ; last month my EU citizen wife went to home country to replace her expired passport then she returned back to the UK with 1 day old new passport. At the airport she used automatic gate with no officer like she normally does and nobody asked anything (even we applied to EUSS in 2019 by her old passport).
I love science

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Thanks, useful addition to the above. This proves that as I said, EU passports are good enough, EUSS or not, since EU nationals do not need a visa to enter the UK. (Using egates negates the situation reported earlier this year of EU nationals being deported because of their verbal answers to UK border officers).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

Post by Euscheme_problem » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 am

Hi, to help out, both my Wife (Non-EEA, pre-settled) and I (EU, settled) just came back from a holiday in the EU to Manchester Airport.

Immigration took 2 seconds, he scanned our passports, looked at my wife's BRC, checked our faces, said "I can see your status, welcome back" and that was it. Didn't even check our Passenger Locator Form or negative COVID results.

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:53 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm
Thanks, useful addition to the above. This proves that as I said, EU passports are good enough, EUSS or not, since EU nationals do not need a visa to enter the UK. (Using egates negates the situation reported earlier this year of EU nationals being deported because of their verbal answers to UK border officers).
Perhaps somewhat beside the point but as most of us know e-gates and e-Passports don't always work, for various factors relating to both e-gates and your e-Passport, happens to at least a few people every time I go through passport control in the UK, so you may end up having to go through manned immigration/passport control. And if you're using your EU national ID card instead of your e-Passport you can't use e-gates.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:18 pm

dexmo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:53 pm
kamoe wrote:
Perhaps somewhat beside the point but as most of us know e-gates and e-Passports don't always work, for various factors relating to both e-gates and your e-Passport, happens to at least a few people every time I go through passport control in the UK, so you may end up having to go through manned immigration/passport control. And if you're using your EU national ID card instead of your e-Passport you can't use e-gates.
Sure.

Now, keep in mind that after Brexit EU nationals can no longer travel to the UK on their EU national ID card! A passport is needed now.

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:54 pm

kamoe wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:18 pm
dexmo wrote:
kamoe wrote:
Sure.

Now, keep in mind that after Brexit EU nationals can no longer travel to the UK on their EU national ID card! A passport is needed now.
Sorry, inaccurate. Current legislation allows EEA/EU nationals with pre-settled and settled status to continue using their national ID cards to enter the UK. There's no indication at this point in time that this is going to change.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:45 pm

dexmo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:54 pm
kamoe wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:18 pm
dexmo wrote:
kamoe wrote:
Sure.

Sorry, inaccurate. Current legislation allows EEA/EU nationals with pre-settled and settled status to continue using their national ID cards to enter the UK. There's no indication at this point in time that this is going to change.
True. I was thinking of EU visitors, sorry.

The problem with the EU ID card approach is that you need to produce the document you used to apply for your status with. That is usually a passport.

Having the status attached to the passport but attempting to enter the UK with a different EU ID card, or vice versa, specially since this means talking to a UK immigration officer and declaring you reside in the UK rather than just visiting, might mean you can face some trouble as shown in this article (the case of Antonio the airline worker) https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rder-force

Post by 1878 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:38 am

Euscheme_problem wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 am
Hi, to help out, both my Wife (Non-EEA, pre-settled) and I (EU, settled) just came back from a holiday in the EU to Manchester Airport.

Immigration took 2 seconds, he scanned our passports, looked at my wife's BRC, checked our faces, said "I can see your status, welcome back" and that was it. Didn't even check our Passenger Locator Form or negative COVID results.
What about the airline check in? Your wife just showed her EEA BRC (assuming not expired?) ?

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

Post by Euscheme_problem » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am

She has an EU Scheme BRC. I don't really follow the difference between BRC and BRP, but her card states "Residence Card" and permit type says "EU Scheme Pre-Settled". She showed that at check-in. She never had an EEA BRC.