ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO PERMANENT RESIDENCE AFTER BREXIT

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chinguiris
BANNED
Columbia

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO PERMANENT RESIDENCE AFTER BREXIT

Post by chinguiris » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Hey guys

a lot of rumours,
they said PR will be valid until 30 december 2020, another ones say that after march 2019 it wont be valid anymore, so confusing.

Does anyone here knows what is gonna happen to Those EEA nationals, and Those NON-EEA nationals Holding permanent residence?
and Very Important, will Permanent Residence(PR), will be accepted as a proof of not time restrictions
when applying for naturalization in the UK?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO PERMANENT RESIDENCE AFTER BREXIT

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 am

Holders of PR under EU Regulations will be able to exchange PR for "Settled Status", once the application facility is available (free of charge). You will then be under UK Immigration rules. We need to await announcements of how all this is going to work, especially in connection with naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:26 pm

chinguiris wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:12 pm
they said PR will be valid until 30 december 2020
As per official Home Office pages on EEA applications, including Permanent Residence and Residence Cards, these documents will be valid until December 2020. All of these pages also advise of the Settled and Pre-Settled Status, to which people with previous PR and RC should switch to. Information here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
another ones say that after march 2019 it wont be valid anymore, so confusing.
If you go to the link above, you'll see that the March 2019 date is actually the date the Settled and Pre-Settled Status will be rolled out. This means this is the first date from which it will be possible for people with PR and RC to switch, not the end of validity of current documentation. See that this is planned so people have plenty of time to apply before December 2020.

There is also an absolute deadline, which is 30 June 2021, for anyone to apply for Settled or Pre-Settled status. I believe this applies more to new arrivals to the UK rather than people who already have documentation (as they need to switch before December 2020).

In other words: People with PR and RC should apply to switch to Settled or Pre-Settled Status between March 2019 and December 2020. People newly arrived in the UK have a deadline of 30 June 2021 to apply.
Does anyone here knows what is gonna happen to Those EEA nationals, and Those NON-EEA nationals Holding permanent residence?
As explained above, they will need to switch to Settled Status, which will be free, and apparently straightforward, if you already have PR.
and Very Important, will Permanent Residence(PR), will be accepted as a proof of not time restrictions
I would think this depends on when you intend to apply for naturalization.

If you apply between now and December 2020, your PR should be accepted, as it would still be a valid document. If you intend to apply after December 2020, then you need to get a Settled Status before you apply, as your PR will no longer be valid.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

chinguiris
BANNED
Columbia

Post by chinguiris » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:26 pm
chinguiris wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:12 pm
they said PR will be valid until 30 december 2020
As per official Home Office pages on EEA applications, including Permanent Residence and Residence Cards, these documents will be valid until December 2020. All of these pages also advise of the Settled and Pre-Settled Status, to which people with previous PR and RC should switch to. Information here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
another ones say that after march 2019 it wont be valid anymore, so confusing.
If you go to the link above, you'll see that the March 2019 date is actually the date the Settled and Pre-Settled Status will be rolled out. This means this is the first date from which it will be possible for people with PR and RC to switch, not the end of validity of current documentation. See that this is planned so people have plenty of time to apply before December 2020.

There is also an absolute deadline, which is 30 June 2021, for anyone to apply for Settled or Pre-Settled status. I believe this applies more to new arrivals to the UK rather than people who already have documentation (as they need to switch before December 2020).

In other words: People with PR and RC should apply to switch to Settled or Pre-Settled Status between March 2019 and December 2020. People newly arrived in the UK have a deadline of 30 June 2021 to apply.
As explained above, they will need to switch to Settled Status, which will be free, and apparently straightforward, if you already have PR.
I would think this depends on when you intend to apply for naturalization.

If you apply between now and December 2020, your PR should be accepted, as it would still be a valid document. If you intend to apply after December 2020, then you need to get a Settled Status before you apply, as your PR will no longer be valid.

Amazing information you just gave me, thanks a lot for your time and for your help! really appreciate it

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:32 pm

The so called Settled Status is just a political promise and it is not enshrined in law.

So far it was tied with the destiny of the Withdrawal Agreement, and we all know we're probably heading towards a No Deal.

We have a promise made by a soon to be removed PM of going on with the Settled Status, but, considering the Windrush fiasco, I'd rather be not too optimistic.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:04 pm

rooibos wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:32 pm
The so called Settled Status is just a political promise and it is not enshrined in law.
Whatever legal status it has, it has been officially communicated and scheduled in the HO website. With all the pressure from EU citizens in the UK, and precisely after the Windrush scandal, I can't see the government rolling this back... unless Brexit doesn't happen.
So far it was tied with the destiny of the Withdrawal Agreement, and we all know we're probably heading towards a No Deal.
Since it's been already officially announced, not sure how dependent it is on the outcome of a deal/no deal. Seems to be going ahead, whatever happens, unless... again, Brexit doesn't happen.
a soon to be removed PM
This is speculation. But then again, all about Brexit is :P
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm

There is however already a beta test in progress in the north-east under Immigration regulations appendix EU. So there is already a legal basis.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.