ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working right away on EEA Family Permit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Working right away on EEA Family Permit?

Post by jottika » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:50 am

Hello lovely ppl,
I've been scouring the uk gov website and the internet about working on my EEA Family Permit, I'd like to hear personal experiences. I'll be looking for an office job.

PS. I'll be applying for my NiNo and Settlement as well

The spouse is a Permanent resident there and is an EU national and we who'll apply together to settle under the new settlement scheme.

iwolga

Re: Working right away on EEA Family Permit?

Post by iwolga » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:35 am

jottika wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:50 am
Hello lovely ppl,
I've been scouring the uk gov website and the internet about working on my EEA Family Permit, I'd like to hear personal experiences. I'll be looking for an office job.

The spouse is a Permanent resident there and is an EU national and we who'll apply together to settle under the new settlement scheme.
By all means FP shall give you the right to work. Depending on the place where you'll be applying\working you might find it hard to be able to prove to employer that you actually have this right (without RC, where it is explicitly written "work permitted"). I just had this conversation with recruitment agent in Birmingham a week ago. She looked at my FP and asked: ow, and what does it give you? Which rights? Hence you need to be able to educate HR\Agents re your rights on FP.

I didn't apply for NiNo as I was under impression that I first need to be able to prove that I'm the active search of the job (not sure this is correct) and now I don't have my passport as I applied for RC.

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Post by jottika » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:03 am

iwolga wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:35 am
jottika wrote:
Hello lovely ppl,

By all means FP shall give you the right to work. Depending on the place where you'll be applying\working you might find it hard to be able to prove to employer that you actually have this right (without RC, where it is explicitly written "work permitted"). I just had this conversation with recruitment agent in Birmingham a week ago. She looked at my FP and asked: ow, and what does it give you? Which rights? Hence you need to be able to educate HR\Agents re your rights on FP.

I didn't apply for NiNo as I was under impression that I first need to be able to prove that I'm the active search of the job (not sure this is correct) and now I don't have my passport as I applied for RC.
Thanks for replying iwolga. True, will be hard to prove anything on FP alone.

Yes, for NiNo, one must show they are looking for work.

Is RC Also Biometric Residence Card or BRP?
As BRP will be redundant from December 2020, I thought one can now directly apply Settled/ Presettled ( as the RC validity ends December 2020).
Any reason why you applied for the RC and not to settle? Does it come faster than settled/presettled?

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 am

From my understanding, BRC is being issued for EEA related schemes. BRP - is now also a card but in accordance with British immigration rules.

BRCs will need to be confirmed by settled/pre-settled status but from what I gather you don’t need to change them before their expiration date (5 years).

I decided that I can still use some benefits of EU card (possibly even after Brexit, though I’m hoping it’ll never happen), the route was straight forward and well-known. No, seems like it isn’t quicker, though I was hoping it will as more and more people apply for Settlement Scheme.

What kind of proof do you give or plan to give to NiNo for job search? I have interview invitations and auto-replies from LinkedIn or Reed. Is that sufficient proof?

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Post by jottika » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Hey Iwolga
I just got here last week, so setting about all the papeerwork.

I have already applied to jobs on linkedin and reed etc. and got called back a couple of times. But apparently the Entrance Visa sticker in the passport is not enough proof of right to work.

I have also applied for NiNO now. Just callde in and gave my details and they are sending me the paperwork to fill out to my address. After I send it back to them it will take 4-6 weeks for me to get my Nin. I don't yet know what documents I will need, but yes, i too am planning to send in my job application confirmation letters for Nino.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:41 pm

jottika wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:49 pm
Hey Iwolga
I just got here last week, so setting about all the papeerwork.
Hi and welcome! I hope you will settle down nicely and easily :)
I have already applied to jobs on linkedin and reed etc. and got called back a couple of times. But apparently the Entrance Visa sticker in the passport is not enough proof of right to work.

Well, if you talked to recruitment agencies, than this is my experience as well. They don't know. And - truth is - they don't really eager to know what should be part of their job.

The quickest way to have this solved is to apply for EEA2 card (I don't know re Settlement scheme). As you are a direct family member, you shall get a CoA letter pretty fast. Well.. as fast as it gets here :) Mine was issued within 3 weeks time, so even with Christmas coming you can still expect to get some sort of confirmation pretty fast.
I have also applied for NiNO now. Just callde in and gave my details and they are sending me the paperwork to fill out to my address. After I send it back to them it will take 4-6 weeks for me to get my Nin. I don't yet know what documents I will need, but yes, i too am planning to send in my job application confirmation letters for Nino.
ow, nice! I thought an interview in a job centre is an obligatory procedure! Even my EU-husband with existing job went there for a chat.

I however know, that there are companies who help you with that - was this one of them? Or was it directly Department for Work?

One other note, you don't need NINO to start working. As at the moment of your first salary you need to be able to show to the accounting department that you applied for NINO. This shall suffice before you get your #

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Post by jottika » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks iwolga :)

EEA2 Card - I will check this out. I am about to apply for pre-Settlement - the timeline says '5 working days' on the UK Gov website, but could take longer I presume.

NinO - no it was not an agency. I rang up the direct line - 0800 141 2075 - and the woman on the line told me specifically when I asked (because I too thought going in was mandatory) - 'you do not need to come in for an interview', she said, 'it's all done by mail'.

To prove your right to work:
look what I found! Share this link with your recruitment agency and let me know what they think. I've shared it now with mine, waiting for her to get back to me.

https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?ca ... &langId=en

My understanding: This is a directive by the European Commission and comes under EU citizens' (and family members) right to movement/work and is not under UK immigration law. But it still holds as the UK is in still in the EU as on date. So this law should uphold if you show your EEA Family Permit + a marriage certificate or relevant documentation showing relationship to said EU national.
Last edited by jottika on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:25 pm

I am about to apply for pre-Settlement - the timeline says '5 working days' on the UK Gov website, but could take longer I presume.
Yeap, both are long. There are two topics in this thread: one for EEA2, another for EU Settlement timeline. You will see that both processes most of the time take months with few lucky members reporting quicker timelines.

I did receive my CoA which confirms right to work.
To prove your right to work: look what I found! Share this link with your recruitment agency and let me know what they think. I've shared it now with mine, waiting for her to get back to me.

https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?ca ... &langId=en

My understanding: This is a directive by the European Commission and comes under EU citizens' (and family members) right to movement/work and is not under UK immigration law. But it still holds as the UK is in still in the EU as on date. So this law should uphold if you show your EEA Family Permit + a marriage certificate or relevant documentation showing relationship to said EU national
the way the majority of the agents (not all, but a lot) will think: "ow, this is difficult, and yeah, Brexit, so I better go for someone with clear papers". They'll never tell you that, of course.

So don't waste your time educating them but just get your papers in order ASAP.

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Post by jottika » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:26 pm

Yeah true, I'm on it..cheers :)

rubycheuk
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by rubycheuk » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi all,

I have received a preliminary job offer but I haven't received COA nor the PSS residence cards since my biometric appointment 2+ months ago. I am really nervous as I don't know how to prove my right to work with my expired EEA Family Permit and I am really afraid of losing the offer. Have any of you experienced getting employed before COA or PSS result?

I have sent over my british overseas passport(right of abode in HK not UK) but they haven't request for proof of right to work yet, I understand they are preparing the job contract, should I send them the expired EEA FP? Or should I just send them my marriage certificate and the PSS status of my EU husband?

Please advise if you could! Thank you.

Taphiz
Newly Registered

Post by Taphiz » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 pm

jottika wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:03 am
iwolga wrote:
jottika wrote:
Hello lovely ppl,

As BRP will be redundant from December 2020, I thought one can now directly apply Settled/ Presettled ( as the RC validity ends December 2020).
Any reason why you applied for the RC and not to settle? Does it come faster than settled/presettled?
I suggest you apply for the BRP asap. As lots of people have already experienced, recruiters don't quite understand your right to work on an FP or any Home Office document unless it is specified. Plus you'll need that BRP card to prove much more than right to work. Go for the card now then apply for the Settled Status Scheme.
The reason why: the BRP is a document you can present anywhere anytime. Under the Settled Status Scheme you end up with only a reference number that has to be verified online by employers etc. Not many will bother to check and verify that if the next qualified candidate presents actual documents.
Oh, and if you don't have a UK bank account yet open one before sending your passport to the HO. Good luck

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:58 pm

I suggest you apply for the BRP asap. As lots of people have already experienced, recruiters don't quite understand your right to work on an FP or any Home Office document unless it is specified. Plus you'll need that BRP card to prove much more than right to work. Go for the card now then apply for the Settled Status Scheme.
I believe you get BRC with an EEA application, not BRP, but never mind, this is just a name.
The reason why: the BRP is a document you can present anywhere anytime. Under the Settled Status Scheme you end up with only a reference number that has to be verified online by employers etc.
As reported by members here, you also get a BRP\BRC under Settlement route. I didn't see an example yet, maybe it doesn't indeed say "work permitted" as EEA2 card.

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Post by jottika » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am

iwolga wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:58 pm
I believe you get BRC with an EEA application, not BRP, but never mind, this is just a name.

You get a BRP with your Settlement/pre Settlement if you haven't already got one.
The reason why: the BRP is a document you can present anywhere anytime. Under the Settled Status Scheme you end up with only a reference number that has to be verified online by employers etc.
As reported by members here, you also get a BRP\BRC under Settlement route. I didn't see an example yet, maybe it doesn't indeed say "work permitted" as EEA2 card.
Yes, that reference number is called a Share Code which makes it super easy for recruitment agencies to check right to work.

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Post by jottika » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am

Taphiz wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 pm
jottika wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:03 am
iwolga wrote:
jottika wrote:
Hello lovely ppl,

The reason why: the BRP is a document you can present anywhere anytime. Under the Settled Status Scheme you end up with only a reference number that has to be verified online by employers etc. Not many will bother to check and verify that if the next qualified candidate presents actual documents.
Oh, and if you don't have a UK bank account yet open one before sending your passport to the HO. Good luck
You're right, you get a BRP along with Settlement application.
Had no idea about bank account!

Also, I finished my biometrics yesterday, and still have got no email from either Sopra Steria or the HO/UKVI updating about this. My UKVI application account online still shows "You must book a biometrics appointment to proceed with your Settlement application " !!
No idea if I should send my passport in or wait!

jottika
Newly Registered
India

Post by jottika » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am

To currently prove my right to work I have given recruitment agencies my:
-Husband's passport
-Husband's working offer letter
-Our marriage certificate
-My passport with FP visa
-The link to European Commission website stating the family members right to work
- The EU Official Directives Pdf dated 2004, Ref. Article 23

General response :
"This means that you have the right to work but we will still need to see documentation that says you do."