ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on applying for work in Canada from the UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

angel010980
Newly Registered

Advice on applying for work in Canada from the UK

Post by angel010980 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help?

I am currently looking for a job in Canada (I am a UK citizen and living in the UK just now). The plan is to go out on a working VISA initially with a view to applying to premanent residency further down the road. I am a Civil Engineer with 5 years experience in the water and environmental sectors.

Firstly, does anyone have any tips on applying for work in Canada? I have applied through 2 recruitment agencies already and directly to a few companies but I was wondering if one way was better than the other? Secondly, since I am applying from overseas, am I likely to be taken seriously? A friend of mine from the USA told me that when she applied for jobs in the UK she got told where to go a lot of the time and I am worried that will happen to me.

Lastly, does anyone know any Environmental/Engineering firms in Canada that I could try, or even if a recruiter is reading this, can you offer me a job? :wink:

Thanks in advance!

highrisein
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on applying for work in Canada from the UK

Post by highrisein » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm

You have to sell your skills to potential employers.
The employer needs to provide you a job offer and get you a labour market opinion from Human Resources of Canada.
After you acquire working experience you can apply for permanent residence as a skilled or get sponsored by a partner in Canada if you are single.
You can use an agency but mostly job hunt on your own. Explore various cities not just Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver to exploit labour shortage in other cities in smaller centers. You can also look at the Provincial nominee category to immigrate as a skilled worker.

Hope this helps!

www.highrisein.com

JCaughey
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on applying for work in Canada from the UK

Post by JCaughey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:48 pm

There are multiple sites that can help you to find work in Canada.

https://www.skilledworkers.com/
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/home.shtml

You could apply for Canadian Immigration throught the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). You would fall under the lower-skilled trades category NOC2131. I do not recommend completing the application process yourself though because it can be quite complex. You can hire a Canadian Immigration Lawyer to assist you.

Here is some further information that you may find helpful: http://www.abhinav.com/canada-immigrati ... neers.aspx