ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Career path for spouse

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

urizwi

Career path for spouse

Post by urizwi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:01 pm

Once my husband's visa is (hopefully) approved we are thinking about what work is best for him in the UK. Long term our aim is for him to be his own boss whether that's freelance or running a small business.

We are looking at skill based work like automotive mechanic, electrician or photography/videography. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The idea is for him to then beginning training in the chosen field.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Career path for spouse

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:02 pm

Hello

Your question is too vague and not immigration related.
automotive mechanic, electrician or photography/videography
In many countries, you can just set yourself up as an electrician and start trading next day. You will see that in the UK, most jobs are regulated and you need an accredited training to be allowed to do them. Electrician is like that.

A lot of training is also required to become an automotive mechanic. Most people go through 3-year apprenticeship (they are 17 or 18 years old when they start). These apprenticeship options are usually not available later in life.

Photo/Video... It's a dead business in the UK. You will struggle to find anyone who pays for that. It takes years to prove yourself and start getting clients. Most people I know who tried that field dropped after a few years where the spending on cameras and equipment was never paid back. When you spend £10'000 on equipment and you get 1 client paying £200 after 9 months doing marketing, you get the point.

But your question is really vague. It means you are the beginning for this line of thought. You need to explore with your partner and establish a career plan and projects for him. But it needs to be more focused than that.

All the best.

urizwi

Re: Career path for spouse

Post by urizwi » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Thanks for replying. I didn't think it had to be immigration related because this is the employment board.

We are still at the stage of exploring career options. Trying to avoid a low-paying 9-5 job and instead work on building up a small business. It all depends on how much time training will take.

I was hoping to hear from people who are in these fields or similar jobs themselves.