ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Film worker in need of Tier 5.. no sponsor.

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lightscameraaction
Newly Registered

Film worker in need of Tier 5.. no sponsor.

Post by lightscameraaction » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Sorry if this has been answer 500 times or if I'm just an idiot for not knowing where to find the answer but I'll just explain my situation. I'm a production assistant/personal assistant in Hollywood and spent a month visiting a friend filming a m ovie in London this past spring. While there I made many contacts, one of whom offered me the chance to work on Star Wars. Of course, the hold up was that I had a visa of which I don't. I have no shortage of job offers to work on movies filming in and around London in the future but I'm just low enough that these companies have no need to sponsor me. Basically, it's a situation where the job is mine, if I can take care of all the strings. I meet all the requirements for eligibility but not the most important, having a sponsor.

Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated. I have a great opportunity potentially and from where I stand, it looks like there's nothing I can do to reach it. And btw, I can't marry anyone/don't have grandparents from the EU.. I can't do anything like that.

Thanks for anything. Truly.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Film worker in need of Tier 5.. no sponsor.

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:19 am

Tier 5 is youth mobility and I'm not sure it's open to USA'ians, assuming you are such. YMS was traditionally open to Commonwealth citizens but they might have changed it.

The only other way open to you that I can think of is a student visa were you can work 20hr a week if it's a degree level course. Of course this will cost $$$$$.....

There is BUNAC for USA people but I've no idea what that involves.

Otherwise it's marriage or sponsor I'm afraid....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:34 am

@Wanderer - Tier 5 CS - creative or sportsperson temp worker :-)

As for the OP - unless you can get a sponsor to give you a COS then you are stumped. Given the big production outfits have Tier 5 then it would be no skin off their nose to issue one. They can do it off the bat without thinking about it. The restrictions are virtually nil. They can appoint who ever they feel, there is no need to offer it out to a UK/EEA body first.

If you have an inroad to the Star Wars side of things they can easily sort out a Tier 5. You will have to find the right contact!!

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:44 pm

There is a code of practice for workers in film and TV. Production assistants don't meet that code. So, even if you found a registered sponsor, they would not be able to issue you a Tier 5 CoS. Techs and support staff have to be "senior creative grade". In other words, these occupations:
Producer
 Director
 Director of Photography (Cinematographer)
 Production Designer
 Costumer Designer
 Hair/Make Up Supervisor
 Editor
 Composer
 Visual Effects Supervisor
 Sound Designer
 Script Writer
Otherwise the job would have to be advertised and the sponsor would have to prove they could not fill it from within Europe. Not going to happen, I'm afraid.

salem922
Newly Registered

Post by salem922 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm curious because I am now in a similar position as you... were you ever successful in getting a work sponsor to work on sets in the UK? Im also American and have connections in London, but they are no use without a sponsor :/

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:33 pm

salem922 wrote:I'm curious because I am now in a similar position as you... were you ever successful in getting a work sponsor to work on sets in the UK? Im also American and have connections in London, but they are no use without a sponsor :/
This post is 3 years old and the original poster only ever posted once and has not returned the forum since

Suggest start your own topic for any advice that is more relevant compared to 2014.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.