ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

grr.. uk employers

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Locked
buttercup88
Junior Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 am

grr.. uk employers

Post by buttercup88 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Sorry, this is just a rant.



My husband and I are moving to the UK this summer and we're currently job hunting.

We're both in the same profession so we're applying to the same organisations.

He's got several call-backs from places and I have yet to have one. (BTW, Im more highly qualified and have more experience than my husband)

I've had two organisations call me and the moment they find out I dont have a NI number yet, they give me a quick, "thanks for the application, bye" crap.
:evil:

I understand they might be a little wary of people who dont have visas yet, BUT with the way they've been acting... it makes it look like i have the plague or something!

jesus.


anyone else had problems like this?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Posts: 10511
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:46 pm
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:42 pm

My gf got two job offers despite not having an NI number or even the correct visa at the time...

Most employers are pretty dumb about the legalities despite there being more people in the UK in HR than Miners....

Maybe it's beloved?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:07 pm
Location: Kings Langley

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:49 pm

I had no difficulty getting a job without a NI.
As a matter of fact, there is no law agianst it. But you will not get a salary, until unless you have a NI number. So in principle, You will get the offer, come to UK, join office, apply for NI. Next time any employer enquires about your NI status, explain this to him.
Third World Traveller

namastelondon
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Hitchin
Contact:

Post by namastelondon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:13 pm

ThirdWorldTraveller wrote:I had no difficulty getting a job without a NI.
As a matter of fact, there is no law agianst it. But you will not get a salary, until unless you have a NI number. So in principle, You will get the offer, come to UK, join office, apply for NI. Next time any employer enquires about your NI status, explain this to him.
Well i got my first salary even with out NI number.Companies might have some default NI. I got my second salary with NI number though.

Tim555
Senior Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 am
Location: London

Post by Tim555 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:37 am

namastelondon wrote:
ThirdWorldTraveller wrote:I had no difficulty getting a job without a NI.
As a matter of fact, there is no law agianst it. But you will not get a salary, until unless you have a NI number. So in principle, You will get the offer, come to UK, join office, apply for NI. Next time any employer enquires about your NI status, explain this to him.
Well i got my first salary even with out NI number.Companies might have some default NI. I got my second salary with NI number though.
You can get job without nino, its not a problem but the main thing is tax deduction. Without nino ( on default ni - BR code ) employee pays more tax and with nino ( only single job ) pays less tax.
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Posts: 10511
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:46 pm
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:24 am

Tim555 wrote:
namastelondon wrote:
ThirdWorldTraveller wrote:I had no difficulty getting a job without a NI.
As a matter of fact, there is no law agianst it. But you will not get a salary, until unless you have a NI number. So in principle, You will get the offer, come to UK, join office, apply for NI. Next time any employer enquires about your NI status, explain this to him.
Well i got my first salary even with out NI number.Companies might have some default NI. I got my second salary with NI number though.
You can get job without nino, its not a problem but the main thing is tax deduction. Without nino ( on default ni - BR code ) employee pays more tax and with nino ( only single job ) pays less tax.
NI number has nothing to do with the Tax Code.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Tim555
Senior Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 am
Location: London

Post by Tim555 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Tim555 wrote:
namastelondon wrote:
ThirdWorldTraveller wrote:I had no difficulty getting a job without a NI.
As a matter of fact, there is no law agianst it. But you will not get a salary, until unless you have a NI number. So in principle, You will get the offer, come to UK, join office, apply for NI. Next time any employer enquires about your NI status, explain this to him.
Well i got my first salary even with out NI number.Companies might have some default NI. I got my second salary with NI number though.
You can get job without nino, its not a problem but the main thing is tax deduction. Without nino ( on default ni - BR code ) employee pays more tax and with nino ( only single job ) pays less tax.
NI number has nothing to do with the Tax Code.
True NI is nothing to do with tax code if you are a jobless.
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

buttercup88
Junior Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 am

Post by buttercup88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:34 pm

"True NI is nothing to do with tax code if you are a jobless."

yes...

i think employers are bit suspicious nowadays about hiring foreigners until they are present in the country.


i did however get my first positive call back today and I have interview finally
:)

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:23 pm

Could be they don't want the hassle of having to sponsor you for a working permit. They may not be licensed to do so. Rather than, Wanderer, beloved.

Maybe you need to explain how exactly you plan to gain legal status to enable you to work here. Once potential employers realised nothing is required of them you might be a little bit successful. Employers don't want to give a foreigner a job only to discover there is problems with their visa.

You can gain a temporary NI number whilst waiting for your permanent number. NI contributions can also be backdated once you have a number.

Idea
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:57 am
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

NI number

Post by Idea » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 pm

I got my first months pay without NI number and without bank account. I was paid by cheque. I sorted both during the 1.5 months and deposited my cheque later. everyone knows it takes a few weeks to get the NI number - maybe its about explaining to someone who has not aome across such situations (ie the employer)

NI number has a connection to tax (tax may not depend on it)- the HMRC has all details of individual's tax linked to the NI number.

buttercup88
Junior Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 am

Post by buttercup88 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 pm

nah, can't be beloved as I'm a white as white can be.....
unless it's reverse beloved. hmm...


i just think employers dont want the hassle. If they just employ uk citizen then they dont have to worry about anything.

i think its a shame though.
it means theyre disregarding people who are well qualified and could be a better employee for them.




i have a dutch coworker who is in the same boat. she's trying to get a job in the uk but no one will look at her cv (even though she's an EU citizen!).

I think in her case it's because she has non-eu qualifications and employers aren't sure of what to think of them.

kabuki
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: London
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm having some issues with getting callbacks. The problem for me is the area I'm looking into, International Officer at a Higher Education institute. I always mention that I meet all the requirements for tier 2 visa and only need a sponsor from employer, and the things is, Universities are well aware of immigration law, and it's possible that they prefer someone who doesn't need a permit. Also, it would need to be means tested, so that could be going against me as well, although I don't know how many applicants can say they have Higher Education experience in other country, especially outside the EU as some are looking for.

It's frustrating on my end because my partner is an EU national, but as we aren't going to marry just for sake of a visa, we would have to go the unmarried route leaving me waiting and waiting for a decision, and employers are always fond of that, so Tier 2 is the best way right now. I've spent so many hours filling out applications it become very disconcerting when you get quick replies telling you that you've been unsuccessful, especially when you know you are well qualified for the position.

I hope others are having luck. Best of luck to you. Hope you hear something soon.

pyke
Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by pyke » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 pm

kabuki wrote:I've spent so many hours filling out applications it become very disconcerting when you get quick replies telling you that you've been unsuccessful, especially when you know you are well qualified for the position.

I hope others are having luck. Best of luck to you. Hope you hear something soon.
That sounds all too familiar sigh... and I'm sure many others would have felt the same way at one time or another.

Hang in there and all the best to you.

Tim555
Senior Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 am
Location: London

Post by Tim555 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:09 am

buttercup88 wrote:"True NI is nothing to do with tax code if you are a jobless."

yes...

i think employers are bit suspicious nowadays about hiring foreigners until they are present in the country.


i did however get my first positive call back today and I have interview finally
:)
Did you get this job? How was interview?
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

Tim555
Senior Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 am
Location: London

Re: grr.. uk employers

Post by Tim555 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:10 am

buttercup88 wrote:Sorry, this is just a rant.



My husband and I are moving to the UK this summer and we're currently job hunting.

We're both in the same profession so we're applying to the same organisations.

He's got several call-backs from places and I have yet to have one. (BTW, Im more highly qualified and have more experience than my husband)

I've had two organisations call me and the moment they find out I dont have a NI number yet, they give me a quick, "thanks for the application, bye" crap.
:evil:

I understand they might be a little wary of people who dont have visas yet, BUT with the way they've been acting... it makes it look like i have the plague or something!

jesus.


anyone else had problems like this?
When did you arrive uk? What is your field/qualificaition/experience?

Cheers
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

pyke
Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by pyke » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:39 am

kiwigirl25 wrote: You can gain a temporary NI number whilst waiting for your permanent number. NI contributions can also be backdated once you have a number.
I was just wondering in what situation would you be given a temporary NI number and the difference between that and a permanent number?

Thanks!

rohitktm
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 am

Post by rohitktm » Sat May 15, 2010 3:24 pm

pyke, as soon as you apply NI number you will be given temporary NI number so that you salary can be processed immediately. i provided my temp NI number (reference no) to my employer. This was the case with me. Later I got permanent NI no which I passed to HR. They will match temp Ni (ref no.) with permanent one. this will be easily sorted by employer and you do not need to do anything expect passing temp Ni No (ref No) and later permanent no. hope this helps.

Locked
cron