ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indonesian friend looking for work in the UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tyldob
Newly Registered

Indonesian friend looking for work in the UK

Post by tyldob » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Dear Immigrationboards.com members,

First of all, I will thank you in advance for taking the time or replying to this post with constructive comments.

I have an Indonesian penpal who is a very close friend and acquaintance of mine. She has almost graduated from her degree and is seeking employment very soon. She has considered working in the UK (as being employed in the UK has multiple benefits) and wants to know how to get work here. She would like to work as a translator, either employed or freelance.

If she wanted to take the employed route, she would first need a job offer to get her Tier 2 Visa. The obvious Catch 22 situation is present here, so where would a translator go to find a job before traveling to the UK? (most jobs that we googled said that you need to be eligible to work in the UK first).

If she wanted to go freelance, then she cannot open a business unless she has £200,000 cash to spare (and what young graduate has that amount?) or she would need to get an investor for £50,000 with a registered venture capitalist (and what venture capitalist would fund a freelance translator?) to get her Entrepreneur visa.

Obviously a sham Spousal or Fiance Visa is out of the question. So what would be her realistic options and routes to gain employment in the UK?

Once again, thank you for reading and for your comments and answers.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Indonesian friend looking for work in the UK

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:55 pm

I'd say almost impossible. Highly unlikely anyone would sponsor or bankroll someone with no experience. Suggest your friend gets some industry experience before even considering the UK.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....