ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job Market scene in UK - fact

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Locked
IMHO4u
BANNED
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 am

Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by IMHO4u » Sun May 16, 2010 7:57 am

It seems many people here are interested in knowing the current trends in all mystic world of UK jobs. I am no expert, but can share a recent experience at my company.
Our requirement was 2 people, one for a testing role and another for a Java developer (we were looking for 2+ year’s experience, recruiting after a gap of 3 years!!)

Total number of applications for both roles, 951 ! :shock: (Our lone HR person was hit by this hurricane of people, some even applying from India, but job was never advertised in INDIA! ??? ) :shock:

After screening the applications, we found that most if not all are highly skilled only (funny, because there was a government which made us believe in shortage of skilled people, thats a lie! Atleast from what we have seen)

Completed telephonic and got it down to 10 each for interview. (all applications from INDIA rejected without telephonic, but again, majority applications within UK were from Indians as well, most on tier 1 or residency! ... thank god, no paper work) :lol:

Yes, almost 10-20 of them were very good and great experience, plan was to get java guy for around 31K and tester for 26K (we are a small company). In end, we got Java for 22K and tester for 17K and people were willing to go down on that, but we agreed as below this was bit sad. :(

What this shows, at least in IT, UK is almost full, very less jobs and most high skilled people are in this domain. Also, this makes UK best place to start IT business, you can get people to code for price of administrative stuff and make good profit. :o

bym007
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:38 am
Location: London

Post by bym007 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:21 pm

I find it very sad and disturbing really!

pyke
Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by pyke » Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks for sharing. It does sound quite depressing indeed.

namastelondon
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Hitchin
Contact:

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by namastelondon » Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm

IMHO4u wrote:It seems many people here are interested in knowing the current trends in all mystic world of UK jobs. I am no expert, but can share a recent experience at my company.
Our requirement was 2 people, one for a testing role and another for a Java developer (we were looking for 2+ year’s experience, recruiting after a gap of 3 years!!)

Total number of applications for both roles, 951 ! :shock: (Our lone HR person was hit by this hurricane of people, some even applying from India, but job was never advertised in INDIA! ??? ) :shock:

After screening the applications, we found that most if not all are highly skilled only (funny, because there was a government which made us believe in shortage of skilled people, thats a lie! Atleast from what we have seen)

Completed telephonic and got it down to 10 each for interview. (all applications from INDIA rejected without telephonic, but again, majority applications within UK were from Indians as well, most on tier 1 or residency! ... thank god, no paper work) :lol:

Yes, almost 10-20 of them were very good and great experience, plan was to get java guy for around 31K and tester for 26K (we are a small company). In end, we got Java for 22K and tester for 17K and people were willing to go down on that, but we agreed as below this was bit sad. :(

What this shows, at least in IT, UK is almost full, very less jobs and most high skilled people are in this domain. Also, this makes UK best place to start IT business, you can get people to code for price of administrative stuff and make good profit. :o
Looks like as if the location of the job was in North...

bym007
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:38 am
Location: London

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by bym007 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:22 pm

namastelondon wrote: Looks like as if the location of the job was in North...
What makes you think so ? Not picking on you, more curious than anything else!

IMHO4u
BANNED
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by IMHO4u » Mon May 17, 2010 6:12 pm

[quote="namastelondon"][quote="IMHO4u"][/quote]

Looks like as if the location of the job was in North...[/quote]


Yes. North-West ... ! But again .. 951 .. I mean, seriously, it was not only me but most at my work place who were a bit shocked.

Any job/service doesnt have a price tag, it comes via demand-supply .. with IT in UK .. this balance has gone all wrong. Torries come and save the day.

Idea
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:57 am
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Beats me!

Post by Idea » Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 pm

really surprised someone can settle for 17k ...

For that person, I dont see the point in coming to the UK.

For any location in UK. With the Rent, council tax, utilities travel etc. which would all more than double that in india- it would be a miracle to live within 17k forget about savings...
on the other hand experienced people in IT in India are making 8-18 Lac p.a
which would mean savings of 30-60k per month. why bother struggling here - is it in the hope that investing in a few years here would help get a better offer later ?

renzokuken
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 am
Location: St Albans

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by renzokuken » Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 pm

IMHO4u wrote:
Yes. North-West ... ! But again .. 951 .. I mean, seriously, it was not only me but most at my work place who were a bit shocked.

Any job/service doesnt have a price tag, it comes via demand-supply .. with IT in UK .. this balance has gone all wrong. Torries come and save the day.
Employing someone with very low salary would hurt your company in long term. The new hire probably only work to survive, and will jump once better opportunity arise.

namastelondon
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Hitchin
Contact:

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by namastelondon » Tue May 18, 2010 8:51 am

bym007 wrote:
namastelondon wrote: Looks like as if the location of the job was in North...
What makes you think so ? Not picking on you, more curious than anything else!
Bcoz i have not seen any employer looking for an experienced guy with this salary in south east/south england. I believe those guys might be looking just to survive the current climate.

kenfrapin
Senior Member
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Contact:

Post by kenfrapin » Tue May 18, 2010 9:59 am

Agree with namastelondon and want to add that the number of Asians in the north coupled with scarcity of IT jobs at the moment shows the real plight of the IT world in North of UK.
While I used to live down south, on which I base most of my replies here, the pay structure and jobs are relatively a lot better than those I have been privy to in the North.

And man, earning anything below 25k as a 'Highly Skilled Migrant' makes no sense at all. If you are really that skilled to get the Tier 1 Visa for the UK legally then you can earn either as much or much more in many Indian Cities(and also in most other Asian cities though I dont have first hand experience so cannot comment) and live a wonderful life with family around. Plus the growth potential in Asia is a lot more than in the UK. So not worth all that effort to come and work here for 17k!!!

KP

wunder
Member of Standing
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: UK

Post by wunder » Tue May 18, 2010 2:13 pm

The situation will be even worse by the end of the year when cuts will spread to the public sector as well.

prisat
Member of Standing
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:16 am
Location: Earth

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by prisat » Wed May 19, 2010 8:44 am

renzokuken wrote:
IMHO4u wrote:
Yes. North-West ... ! But again .. 951 .. I mean, seriously, it was not only me but most at my work place who were a bit shocked.

Any job/service doesnt have a price tag, it comes via demand-supply .. with IT in UK .. this balance has gone all wrong. Torries come and save the day.
Employing someone with very low salary would hurt your company in long term. The new hire probably only work to survive, and will jump once better opportunity arise.
Right !!! Good companies always have standards !!!

IMHO4u
BANNED
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by IMHO4u » Wed May 19, 2010 3:30 pm

[quote="indianinwold"][quote="renzokuken"][quote="IMHO4u"]

Yes. North-West ... ! But again .. 951 .. I mean, seriously, it was not only me but most at my work place who were a bit shocked.

Any job/service doesnt have a price tag, it comes via demand-supply .. with IT in UK .. this balance has gone all wrong. Torries come and save the day.[/quote]

Employing someone with very low salary would hurt your company in long term. The new hire probably only work to survive, and will jump once better opportunity arise.[/quote]

Right !!! Good companies always have standards !!![/quote]








It wont hurt dude .. I mean it’s okay to talk about strategies and be optimistic about better opportunities but reality can’t be ignored. We have far more supply than demand in IT domain and this will eventually get all salaries down.
:wink:
No service has a price tag, it’s determined by market. :wink:

What is considered standard now, will become good pay in future. So, I won’t be surprised if what happened at my company, becomes a norm and in coming years you find people doing IT for 20-25K!. (Let more people run towards UK, as most Tier1 is IT and see what happens!)


And to the other guy (Indianinwold) – Good Companies always have standard about quality of people, price is decided by MARKET ! ... You might not like it, but fact can’t be ignored. :twisted:

poths232
Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Re: Job Market scene in UK - fact

Post by poths232 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

[quote="renzokuken"][quote="IMHO4u"]

"
Employing someone with very low salary would hurt your company in long term. The new hire probably only work to survive, and will jump once better opportunity arise." [/quote]


Cannot agree with this any more. Myself is a developer. I know it hurts when you see your qualification and JAVA certifications of no use by reading this posts. But fact remains fact. You cannot assume that your skill won't be absolute in the future. It could happen and you have to be prepared for this. See the printing and mining business. It's gone. Whatever skills you have in printing arena, it is not of any use. Same things apply to developers as well. Degree's and certifications worth nothing if product is not in demand or simply there are too many people in the same area.

I was afraid of this and now training myself on something else. IT is constantly changing field and worst it is possible to outsource the work.

It is sad that people are being hired at such a low rate, but this is the reality. Nothing hurts the company. Company people are smarter than developers. They know the future scenario and already have arrangement for this.

Locked
cron