ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job Search Approach

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

karpu

Job Search Approach

Post by karpu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 am

Hi Team,

This is Karpu from Hyderabad, India. Recently got Tier 1 General and Planning to move to UK in the month of May 2010. I need your valuable suggestions regarding job search.

I am into IT from last 9 years. Predominantly working with Microsoft technologies. I am into BFSI domain. Worked extensively in the areas of VBA, Visual Basic 6.0, .Net and SQL Server, SSIS and SSRS.

I am NOT holding any certifications yet regarding any technology like MCSD and all as it is not required here. Please suggest me how to proceed and is there anything to do before leaving to UK or is there any way to find job from India itself. Plz provide me some consultants information or job references.

My wife is into IT from last 6 years with C++ and Unix and she is into Telecom domain.

Requesting you all plz give me some suggestions and references to get the job. You can mail me at rajesh.karpurapu@gmail.com

I am coming to UK with around 1400 Pound and the location is London. For how long i can sustain there ( any rough estimation).

I would like to know what are the first things to do after reaching UK.

Is there any requirement of Insurance before travelling there.

Regards

karpu

Plz suggest

Post by karpu » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:02 am

Hi Team,

I am able to see lots and lots of active people in the board. Please suggest me or frame a proper approach with your experience for the new people who are planning to come to UK. Don't leave them saying "I have struggled so that you also have to be struggle".

If I am bit harsh excuse...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:43 am

I'm afraid £1400 would barely last a week in London.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Idea

Hi

Post by Idea » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 pm

if you do some homework before flying you can last for 2 months with the 1400.

if you ask specific questions you'll get more replies.

in general - think in terms of finding a shared accomodation, how you'll have internet access, phone, bank account opening , applying for NI, registering in jobsites and get a feel of skills in demand...etc. - most these can be done before coming to the uk...

As far as i know there is no insurance required for travelling to the uk

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Karpu, this is a great forum with well seasoned professionals ready to provide advice to those who want it BUT from the mere fact that you are planning to come here on a job search with just £1400 and that too based in London, I believe you have not done your research properly or you have not stated your question correctly

London is the location to be in if you have BFSI exposure but you need a lot more money in hand. Finding a job can take anywhere from 1 week, if you are born with a golden spoon, to 3 or 6 months and even longer. If you are spending and investing so much in coming out here, you need to justify that by spending atleast 2 or 3 months here. To do that, you need atleast £4k to 6k to be comfortable, pay for stay, travel to various offices for interviews, clothe and feed yourself and live a decent lifestyle.

If you have friends offering accomodation/food/basic needs free of cost, then main thing required is travel money. If only thats the case, then £2k should be more than enough for 2/3 months with no other expenses to worry about.

All the best to you
KP

pyke

Post by pyke » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:20 am

Idea wrote: in general - think in terms of finding a shared accomodation, how you'll have internet access, phone, bank account opening , applying for NI, registering in jobsites and get a feel of skills in demand...etc. - most these can be done before coming to the uk...
You can apply, but would need to be in the country to get an NI number though.

Is it advisable to apply for an NI number before securing a job? It can be done, but I've always been under the impression - perhaps the wrong impression, that the application process is simpler after securing employment?

Idea

Post by Idea » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:31 am

pyke wrote:
Idea wrote: in general - think in terms of finding a shared accomodation, how you'll have internet access, phone, bank account opening , applying for NI, registering in jobsites and get a feel of skills in demand...etc. - most these can be done before coming to the uk...
You can apply, but would need to be in the country to get an NI number though.

Is it advisable to apply for an NI number before securing a job? It can be done, but I've always been under the impression - perhaps the wrong impression, that the application process is simpler after securing employment?
I agree , to apply for NI number - its easier with an offer letter. But i find a few posts saying employers/manpower agents are enquiring about NI number even for arranging for an interview. - In that case its better to have the NI number. technically you dont need an offer of employment to apply for an NI number - if you can prove you are actively looking for work (with applications and regret letter etc.) its enough ....