ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent or contract job

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

gainvidya
Member of Standing
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 am

Post by gainvidya » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

kenfrapin wrote:
Also, I dont believe in spending 10 years in a country just to save up and then go back. Life is precious and 10 years is a long time to not settle down and build roots in your community. I would not want to lose 8 or 10years just working to build my nest egg and then go back to India and start from scratch again. Also,you not only lose 10years but you also lose the friends you have made, your family(which most of us will have in those 10years) lose the bonds they have built where they have lived and even India will feel alien when you go back and settle down after 10years.
Spending 10 years with this intention of saving and going back sounds strange but people always did that when there was a need. My Dad left his native place in his early 20's towards commercial city of Mumbai and settled down there. Migration in last 10 years is more towards want based than need based. But thats how humans are.
"The belly of the son of Adam will be filled only with dust(of the grave)" -Prophet Muhammed
kenfrapin wrote:
If you have a family its very unfair to your child/ren, if born here and schooling are more British than Indian and taking them back when they are above 5 years is something I wont advice.
This really issue really haunts me. As I see my kid (just turned 6) growing I feel I better escape NOW. In fact I am visiting India next month to start searching more about the schooling etc. so my next step is to start hunting for a job there in few months time.

kenfrapin wrote: spreading your bets across China, India, South Americas and South East Asia sounds better.
I advice not to do that. I have seen people burning their fingers doing that. Invest in the place where you have people and knowledge to back you up.
kenfrapin wrote: most Indians, once married or over 30, whichever comes first, develop a lovely full rounded belly..
That was true 10 to 15 years ago the stats are changing. Percentage of people taking care of thier health and shape are increasing.

namastelondon
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Hitchin
Contact:

Post by namastelondon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:21 pm

harsha7kp wrote:

Dude, Investment strategies are left to an individuals choice and only time can tell if the decision was right or wrong. Yes times do change fast, and thats the very reason why NRIs should invest in india before its too late:p
I'm not saying you don't enjoy your life here, you just need to plan it out very well.
Yes it really depend from person to person but definitely the returns are more in a growing market. I feel if I do not invest now in India, I will never be able to do in future.

I will definitely prefer securing my future back home than securing it in UK.

gainvidya
Member of Standing
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 am

Post by gainvidya » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 pm

namastelondon wrote:
harsha7kp wrote:
I will definitely prefer securing my future back home than securing it in UK.
I concur to this. Although I had option(in 2007) to buy a property in the UK or buy 1 in India first I choose the latter. And I am so lucky to make the right decision. I bought my flat in India for £40K which could have been a deposit against a 2 bed house in London of £250K. Those flats in India are worth £120 (3 times) and still a 2 bed house in the same street is yet £250K.

kenfrapin
Senior Member
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Contact:

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:27 pm

gainvidya wrote:Although I had option(in 2007) to buy a property in the UK or buy 1 in India first I choose the latter. And I am so lucky to make the right decision. I bought my flat in India for £40K which could have been a deposit against a 2 bed house in London of £250K. Those flats in India are worth £120 (3 times) and still a 2 bed house in the same street is yet £250K.
You did the right thing really because 2007/08 was the peak of the housing boom here.....did you know that house prices tripled in the UK too before this time? As the problem with every developed country in the west, such booms dont last too long whereas in developing nations, property will always be a good investment bet

Coming back to the discussion of planning a return back home after 10 years or so, I do agree its a very personal choice. India is improving tremendously so going back after a few fun years in the West is a very good plan. If you have your entire network there its always nice to go back home.
I know, from personal experience, finally shutting shop and returning is a very difficult thing to do - but thats human nature and will always be a tough day when you leave a country that was home for so many years.

KP

namastelondon
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Hitchin
Contact:

Post by namastelondon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:09 am

kenfrapin wrote: I know, from personal experience, finally shutting shop and returning is a very difficult thing to do - but thats human nature and will always be a tough day when you leave a country that was home for so many years.

KP
Anyway we did that when we came to UK. I know for sure many people who live here and every now and then they say " they don't like living here" but still lived there entire life. Some people don't go back because they do not have anything back home.

mrajkumar
Junior Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:24 am
India

Post by mrajkumar » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 pm

well said namastelondon, even some of my frds in UK for more than 6 yrs says they dont like living here and they normally dont encourage people coming to Uk but still lives here even after they got some good oppurtunities to go back to India...I dont understand their stands..
namastelondon wrote:
kenfrapin wrote: I know, from personal experience, finally shutting shop and returning is a very difficult thing to do - but thats human nature and will always be a tough day when you leave a country that was home for so many years.

KP
Anyway we did that when we came to UK. I know for sure many people who live here and every now and then they say " they don't like living here" but still lived there entire life. Some people don't go back because they do not have anything back home.

Locked
cron