ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Project Manager jobs in software development ??

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

Project Manager jobs in software development ??

Post by wanna_bee » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for experiences or opinions of people searching for Project Manager jobs in software development in UK currently.

I'm planning to return to UK after a gap of about 1 year. I will be looking for Project Manager jobs in the software development industry. I want to know how easy or difficult this will be? How long the search may take? Also, what is a good time to come to UK ? Does the job market go down in August?

About me: Indian. ILR.
PRINCE2 certified.
NO niche or trending domain/ technology experience.
Some UK PM experience.

I'm wondering if it is a wise move coming back to UK.

Please help me decide.

Regards,
wanna_bee

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

Re: Project Manager jobs in software development ??

Post by wanna_bee » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:51 am

Bumping thread....please help...

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:15 pm

If you have spent time long enough in the UK to get yourself an ILR, am sure prior UK experience is not going to be a huge issue. And if you have got domain/tech experience from the projects you have worked on prior to your PM experience, that is leverage to get yourself a job as well. Your Prince2 certification is definitely an advantage!

Am sure you will find jobs quickly, if you don't have reservations about location / salary constraints etc. Any time is good to come, and there are jobs in the market, if you are confident about your skills.

Give yourself time and you surely will land something, there are jobs in the market for sure and they need good people. You certainly don't want to give up a hard earned ILR am sure. Have you been looking at jobserve / jobsites for jobs in your area? and started applying?

Good luck.
Cheers,
OR

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

Post by wanna_bee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Thank you for your advice O_Relly! I certainly donot want to give up on my hard earned ILR but it looks like it will suck up more of my finances! That is the problem here, I will have to come back to UK without a job and spend time searching for a job, I donot know how long i will remain unemployed. So my ILR is turning out to be expensive.

Added to that I heard getting a PM job is not easy compared to a java/.net type technical job. This board itself has couple of old posts of people finding it difficult to get PM jobs here. There are more of technical jobs in UK and it is easier to find one. But PM jobs are different ball game all together especially for foreigners.

That's why I wanted to know people's recent experiences in PM job hunting.

My dilemma now is whether to keep my ILR or to let it go (waste of 5 years of time and money).

- wanna_bee

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 pm

From your past posts, you are someone who has managed to obtain an HSMP visa through your own research, which is not an easy task! Am I correct in assuming you have managed to do this already ? ie., come to the UK without a job, get yourself a job and go onto obtain an ILR.

What is your technical background before you moved to project management?

I did a quick search and there are over 10k project manager jobs,
http://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/JobSearch ... 22FDF7370C

Have you tried obtaining an UK number and applying for jobs to see how the calls are coming through ? The biggest advantage you have is your ILR, and not having a location constraint. Test the waters before you come here, but certainly being local in the UK and available for interview at short notice is a huge advantage.

Be confident, don't get influenced by hearsay, do your research, and put some efforts and give it your best shot, before you give up. Good luck.
Cheers,
OR

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

Post by wanna_bee » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks for your encouraging words, O_Relly. Yes, I did all the paperwork for HSMP, Tier1 extension and ILR myself. I quit my job in India and came to UK searching for a new one. It took me about 2 months to find one and it was not easy. I remember promising myself never to do anything like that again (magnitude of risk). But here I'm, again in the same situation!

I'm more of a C++ and application development guy. No fixed domain experience , worked on this and that. Kinda hard for me to take the technical route now. Also I'm on the wrong side of 40 now...

Getting a UK number is a good idea, I will try it. Meanwhile, I did float my CV on UK job boards with my India number. I got very little response and they wanted me to be in UK to take interviews.

So, all in all looks like I will land in UK soon.

- wanna_bee

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 am

Landing a job in 2 months of arrival in UK is very very good! If you trace back in this section of the forum, you will see success stories where people have taken anywhere between 4 to 6 months to land a job. There are also people who have had to wait longer.

So I would consider you really lucky and good at what you do to land something within 2 months. Considering you have already had 5 years of prior UK experience it will only be an advantage for your next job search.

Having an Indian number in your profile and floating your profile in the UK market will clearly not get you any calls, as recruitment agents, are more interested in candidates who are available immediately for an interview, and clearly they don't want to go to an employer with your profile and tell them, candidate is in India, but is available for telephonic interview. They might perhaps do that, if it's a niche skill, and they are unable to find local resources to fill that gap. I would really advice you to get to the UK and start applying.

Not having specific domain experience is not an issue. Having worked on multiple areas, with the core skill as C++ and application development prior to Project Management, is quite good, it doesn't tie you down to 1 domain, and having varied skills is an advantage to be able to manage projects be it any domain. I have friends who are core technical application development guys, who move between insurance, banking, and health care domains quite easily. If you have worked with some big brand names / services companies / product companies, that will add a tad bit to your advantage of getting noticed and get you interview calls.

There are project management roles that require, huge amount of coordination and tracking of tasks, good verbal and written communication skills, to be able to communicate to people at all levels, strategising and planning with stake holders, and these skills aren't easy either.

I am a techie and work in a core product engineering company, where we don't have a dedicated project manager, and it is getting increasingly difficult with individual group heads (Product Management Leads / Multiple Development team Leads / Test team Leads / Documentation team Leads ) managing their own tasks, and reporting into an Engineering manager. But there is no project manager to collectively track and manage tasks of independent teams working on a single project.

This has been identified and we are aware we need a project manager, and we are trying to find a resource internally, as to who that potential project manager could be. (Unfortunately, recruitment budget for the year is up, so not recruiting externally for now)

I don't know your personal circumstances, so can't comment, but all I am trying to do here is just trying to encourage you to keep a more open mindset and try and persevere a bit more.

Lastly, age is not a problem at all, at least here in the UK. People don't even mention their age in their resumes, and HR don't even ask.(If I am not wrong, legally they are not allowed to ask for age/sex/sexual orientation/race) What matters is your prior experience and confidence and ability to take tasks through to completion. We have just had a software engineer Intern who has joined us recently, as part of her final year masters program, and guess what, she has two boys aged 16 and 9. :-)

Don't constrain yourself with limitations that people and yourself have planted in your mind. Explore more, be more confident in yourself, and am sure something will open up.

Good luck.
Cheers,
OR

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

Post by wanna_bee » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Wow, that was really a long post! Again big Thanks for your efforts and encouragement. :D Yes, you have me convinced, I'm going to head back to UK soon and search for the job of my dreams.

:D :D :D

- wanna_bee