ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Acquiring EU citizenship: a comparison of acquiring citizenship in other EU countries

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

secret.simon

Acquiring EU citizenship: a comparison of acquiring citizenship in other EU countries

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 am

This article on Acquiring EU citizenship: a comparison of acquiring citizenship in other EU countries by TheLocal.de website is an overview of naturalisation and other ways of acquiring citizenship in other EEA countries (including Switzerland and Norway).

It does highlight, to my mind at least, how comparatively easy it is to acquire British citizenship. The processing time for naturalisation in the UK is not that particularly long as well, where in Germany it can take as little as three months, in some EEA countries, it can take upwards of three years to process a citizenship application after one has met the requirements and submitted the application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ximon
United States of America

Re: Acquiring EU citizenship: a comparison of acquiring citizenship in other EU countries

Post by Ximon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 pm

I wish I could read it but access to the article requires a paid subscription.

secret.simon

Re: Acquiring EU citizenship: a comparison of acquiring citizenship in other EU countries

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:21 am

Ximon wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 pm
I wish I could read it but access to the article requires a paid subscription.
I just checked accessing the website.

I am not prompted for a subscription (and I don't have one).

I wonder if it is geo-blocked or requires subscriptions for access from outside the EU (and UK) or if it blocks after you have accessed the website a certain number of times.

Perhaps you can try clearing your browser cache and cookies or using a browser in incognito/private mode.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

digitalemigre
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by digitalemigre » Sun May 09, 2021 7:13 am

It's not as hard as you think to acquire citizenship in certain EU countries. Portugal in particular is one of the fastest and most flexible. I moved there at the beginning of 2020 and I'm on track to be eligible for citizenship in 2025. Language requirements for citizenship are pretty low, only A2. And there's talk of abolishing even that.

GoingBackBackToEire
Newly Registered
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:38 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:21 am

I am not prompted for a subscription (and I don't have one).

I wonder if it is geo-blocked or requires subscriptions for access from outside the EU (and UK) or if it blocks after you have accessed the website a certain number of times.

Perhaps you can try clearing your browser cache and cookies or using a browser in incognito/private mode.
I've never visited that site before and it gave me a paywall too.
Incognito mode didn't help.