ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Residence in Sweden with appeal pending in Norway

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Suttree
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Applying for Residence in Sweden with appeal pending in Norway

Post by Suttree » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 am

I'll try to not be too long winded.

Wife is Norwegian citizen by birth, I am an American and our child is dual citizen.

We applied for Family Residence Permit to UDI ( Norwegian Immigration ) and have been rejected on financial grounds.

We are appealing and my wife is moving over to Sweden.

Can I legally apply to be with her in Sweden if I am legally in Schengen?

I fear I know the answer to this question, "You'll have to exit for 90 days and apply in Sweden upon return"
but I am hoping that there is some sort of legal grounds for my applying there before my Schengen exit date

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: Applying for Residence in Sweden with appeal pending in Norway

Post by obormot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:26 pm

I think that you can just go to Sweden and apply for a residence using EU free mobility law (as she is not Swedish, it will be much simpler then in Norway, where you are to use local law). You do not need to obtain any special visa (family permit, etc.) to apply.
She will have to prove that she "exercises treaty rights" though - works, studies, searches for work or is self-sufficient.
The procedure for application is usually outlined on the (Swedish in your case) governmental website devoted to immigration applications.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Applying for Residence in Sweden with appeal pending in Norway

Post by ALKB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Suttree wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 am
I'll try to not be too long winded.

Wife is Norwegian citizen by birth, I am an American and our child is dual citizen.

We applied for Family Residence Permit to UDI ( Norwegian Immigration ) and have been rejected on financial grounds.

We are appealing and my wife is moving over to Sweden.

Can I legally apply to be with her in Sweden if I am legally in Schengen?

I fear I know the answer to this question, "You'll have to exit for 90 days and apply in Sweden upon return"
but I am hoping that there is some sort of legal grounds for my applying there before my Schengen exit date
It appears you can choose from two sets of rules:

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English ... tizen.html

This may also be helpful:

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English ... izens.html

Is your wife working/going to work in Norway?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.