ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Schengen while Dependent extension processing

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Anthony86

Applying for Schengen while Dependent extension processing

Post by Anthony86 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:12 pm

Dear all

I have submitted my PBS dependent extension (expiring February ‘23) on 1 September via the standard route as priority service seems no longer available. Based on the delays reported here I will be lucky to have a response even by 1 December (12 weeks).

I am fully aware I cannot leave the UK until the decision has been made or it invalidates the application. However, can I apply for Schengen visa during that time for an upcoming business trip end November? If I then get the PBS extension in time I would go on the trip- otherwise of course I would wait.

Please advise if anyone has any views on applying for the Schengen and associated risks.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Applying for Schengen while Dependent extension processing

Post by meself2 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:12 pm

Not sure what is the UK requirement for Schengen applications, but most likely it's the same as for Irish residents: at least 3 months should remain before your departure from Schengen area
if you apply in advance, you should be fine (and depending on the extension progress, you might or might not be able to actually go on the trip), but it might take a while
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:38 am

Anthony86 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:12 pm
Dear all

I have submitted my PBS dependent extension (expiring February ‘23) on 1 September via the standard route as priority service seems no longer available. Based on the delays reported here I will be lucky to have a response even by 1 December (12 weeks).

I am fully aware I cannot leave the UK until the decision has been made or it invalidates the application. However, can I apply for Schengen visa during that time for an upcoming business trip end November? If I then get the PBS extension in time I would go on the trip- otherwise of course I would wait.

Please advise if anyone has any views on applying for the Schengen and associated risks.
Not sure why you were in such a hurry to extend your PBS dependant visa. You could have applied for your Schengen visa, travelled in November and extend in January '23.

Yes, you can apply for a Schengen visa right now if you want, and yes you can't travel out. If you do, it would be considered withdrawn.

But on the bright side, you can travel and still make another application when you're back.

On the flip side, you might loose the money you've paid for the extension application. :!:
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Anthony86

Post by Anthony86 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:38 am
Anthony86 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:12 pm
Dear all

Not sure why you were in such a hurry to extend your PBS dependant visa. You could have applied for your Schengen visa, travelled in November and extend in January '23.

Yes, you can apply for a Schengen visa right now if you want, and yes you can't travel out. If you do, it would be considered withdrawn.

But on the bright side, you can travel and still make another application when you're back.

On the flip side, you might loose the money you've paid for the extension application. :!:
Thanks, I applied because I needed at least 3 months remaining from the date of my trip for a Schengen (which wouldn’t have been the case by mid November) and didn’t want to risk it- but hadn’t anticipated the priority service being off the books!