ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

belgian citizenship??

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

fatto
Newly Registered

belgian citizenship??

Post by fatto » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:38 am

hello !

I am a non-EU citizen and residing in Belgium as a spouse of a Belgian citizen (originally Belgian) since 1 year. I have a question on obtaining belgian citizenship. In a Belgian official website, I noticed following statement on "Acquiring Belgian nationality on the basis of a spouse's Belgian nationality":

"The married couple must have lived together in Belgium for at least 3 years. This period is reduced to 6 months if, at the time of the declaration, for the past three years or more, the foreign spouse had been authorised to reside in the country for more than 3 months or to settle there. The deadline applies starting from the date of the marriage."

I had also resided in Belgium to work in the European Commission as a trainee (stagiere) for 5 months with a 6 month (A.S.P) visa in 2002. In this case, do you think the above statement applies to me? Since I already lived with my wife more than 6 months, may I now apply for citizenship?

I would be so pleased if you could answer.

fatto
Newly Registered

Post by fatto » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:51 am

Thanks Elfa for your helpful comment. Indeed yes I had taken it from their website and it seems soon I will apply. The only thing I am worried would be belgian officals' flexibility to implement written regulations but I will show that piece of legislation to them and make them convinced anyway.

Thanks