Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Post Reply
keth001
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Sri Lanka

British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by keth001 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi all,

One of my friend a British Citizen working in France wants to sponsor his parents and invite them to France as they now are his dependents because they are old.

His worry is if he decides to move to UK back in few years can his parents come to UK with him?

Can you please share your views and experience.

Thank you

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:40 am
Mood:
Turkey

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by Caravel88 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Depends on the outcome of Brexit.

Under the current laws, yes.
keth001 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:27 pm
Hi all,

One of my friend a British Citizen working in France wants to sponsor his parents and invite them to France as they now are his dependents because they are old.

His worry is if he decides to move to UK back in few years can his parents come to UK with him?

Can you please share your views and experience.

Thank you

keth001
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Sri Lanka

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by keth001 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi Caravel,

will you please advice the process? should he sponsor his parents as depended? His layer says the parents need to come as visitors initially. Then they have to apply for the card after 2 months. bit confused.

Can you please help?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:40 am
Mood:
Turkey

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 am

The most important thing is that he must be able to prove that his parents are truly his dependants. Things like bank records dating several months proving that he pays for them are crucial for this.

His parents can apply to join him from abroad or come as a tourists to visit him and apply for residence permit in country. I'd say that the latter option is the best and easiest way.

They do not need to wait 2 months however. They can go to the "Prefecture" and apply the next day if they so wish.
keth001 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm
Hi Caravel,

will you please advice the process? should he sponsor his parents as depended? His layer says the parents need to come as visitors initially. Then they have to apply for the card after 2 months. bit confused.

Can you please help?

keth001
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Sri Lanka

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by keth001 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks, tried to find more information online but could not get in to the correct source to clear all our doubts. Will you kindly clarify on these points below?

If the apply for Prefecture then how long it will take them to get the card?

After getting the card how many months they can stay in France?

In case if my friend decides to Mive back to UK late this year or early 2020 and if considering there is no charge in the current law can the parents move to UK with him? And how long they can stay with him in UK?

Thanks a lot in advance

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:40 am
Mood:
Turkey

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:53 am

The law states that the authorities have upto 6 months to issue the residence permit.
The actual time it takes will depend in which department they apply.
It can be a 3 weeks or 3 months. I doubt it will take 6 though.
During this time they can live without a problem.

The RC can be valid for 1, 2 or 5 years. Authorities will decide on that one.
Some just deliver a 5 year one, some do a 1 year one initially.

If there is no change in the law your friend and his dependants can move back to the UK.
This is called EEA family permit. Some also call it "surrinder singh route".
They will probably have to apply from France for that one.

In the UK or anywhere in the EU the dependants have the right to stay with your friend forever.
keth001 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 am
Thanks, tried to find more information online but could not get in to the correct source to clear all our doubts. Will you kindly clarify on these points below?

If the apply for Prefecture then how long it will take them to get the card?

After getting the card how many months they can stay in France?

In case if my friend decides to Mive back to UK late this year or early 2020 and if considering there is no charge in the current law can the parents move to UK with him? And how long they can stay with him in UK?

Thanks a lot in advance

keth001
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Sri Lanka

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by keth001 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:24 am

Hi Caravel,

Really appriciate your comments and view and now I am somehow but clear. We are seeing another lawyer soon and will update what’s happening.

Thanks a lot and speak to you soon.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:40 am
Mood:
Turkey

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 pm

No problem. Happy to help.

Just one last tip: Make sure the lawyer is well versed with the EU directive 2004/38/EC.
That's where your EU citizen friend derives the right of free movement (eg, move to France) and to be with his family (ie, bring them over).
keth001 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:24 am
Hi Caravel,

Really appriciate your comments and view and now I am somehow but clear. We are seeing another lawyer soon and will update what’s happening.

Thanks a lot and speak to you soon.

keth001
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Sri Lanka

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by keth001 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks a lot. EU citizen means that includes UK citizen as well right? Because he is a British

Correct me if I am wrong

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:40 am
Mood:
Turkey

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Yes, for the time being British remain to be EU citizens and the UK remains a full member of the EU with rights and obligations.
keth001 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:32 pm
Thanks a lot. EU citizen means that includes UK citizen as well right? Because he is a British

Correct me if I am wrong

keth001
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Sri Lanka

Re: British Citizen in France want to sponsor parents

Post by keth001 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks a lot.

Post Reply
cron