ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my baby get Swedish passport

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Stationoutput
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Can my baby get Swedish passport

Post by Stationoutput » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:45 pm

Hello everyone , please could someone with experience in this kindly assist us .

She had a baby in July born in Uk , she’s here on a work visa , boyfriend is from Sweden and lives in Sweden . Can the baby get Swedish passport through his dad ? Or does the baby need to be living in Sweden to get a passport ? .

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Can my baby get Swedish passport

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm

When was the child born? Are the parents married? Is the father named on the birth certificate?

Automatic citizenship through birth, adoption or parental marriage
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Stationoutput
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Stationoutput » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:15 pm

Child was born in September 2019 in Uk . The parents are not married . The father is name on the birth certificate. He lives in Sweden but mother of the child lives in Uk . I have tried to read through the website but the information there seems confusing.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:29 pm

From the website, it appears that
a) the child is born a Swedish citizen, but needs to be registered with the Swedish Embassy.
b) the first child passport can be applied for only from within Sweden (it can be renewed later at the Swedish Embassy in London).
c) the child will need to prove Swedish citizenship at every passport renewal
d) the child may lose their Swedish citizenship at the age of 22.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Stationoutput
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Stationoutput » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:51 pm

Thank you for the detailed information . However , I tried to search for information where it states that the first passport be applied from within Sweden but couldn’t find it . I only saw information about getting the ID number and taking it to the embassy to apply for a passport but nothing about applying for first passport in Sweden . Could you please copy an extract of where you found this info ? I followed the link you included but couldn’t find that particular information . Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:00 am

Stationoutput wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:51 pm
However , I tried to search for information where it states that the first passport be applied from within Sweden but couldn’t find it . I only saw information about getting the ID number and taking it to the embassy to apply for a passport but nothing about applying for first passport in Sweden . Could you please copy an extract of where you found this info ? I followed the link you included but couldn’t find that particular information .
I didn't find any place that stated explicitly that the first child passport must be applied within Sweden.

However, given the fact that the Embassy only has a procedure for renewing child passports and for only registering children born abroad, I infer that first child passports must be applied from within Sweden.

Tomorrow is Monday. You could try calling the Swedish Embassy and updating this thread if they advise differently.

Stationoutput
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Stationoutput » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:11 am

Thank you very much . I’ll do that tomorrow and report back once I get a feedback . Thanks for your time and effort

Stationoutput
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Stationoutput » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:40 am

Stationoutput
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Stationoutput » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:45 am

Hello ,

I’m here to post an update . I called the embassy in London and was Baby can get Swedish passport in Uk only not in Sweden unless he can travel on a different passport to get to Sweden first . If one parent is Swedish even if not married or living together , the child can still get Swedish passport . Thanks