ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can UK spouse live in one EU country and work in another?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Breev
Newly Registered

Can UK spouse live in one EU country and work in another?

Post by Breev » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:25 am

I am struggling to find a clear answer on our slightly complex situation.

Background: I am a dual EU-UK citizen, my husband is British. We have moved to Sweden for my work a few months ago. My husband has established his right of residence here through me (i.e. as the spouse of an EU citizen). He has also applied for the Swedish equivalent of 'settled status' for Brits.

He has now been offered a job by a Belgian employer, who are happy for him to work remotely from Sweden. The position wouldn't start until some time in 2021.

We know he has the right to work in Sweden - but does he have the right to start working for an employer in another EU country post-2020? Either under the Withdrawal Agreement or as the non-EU spouse of an EU citizen? Or would the employer have to apply for work visa etc as they would for any other non-EU citizen?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Can UK spouse live in one EU country and work in another?

Post by ALKB » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:36 am

Breev wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:25 am
I am struggling to find a clear answer on our slightly complex situation.

Background: I am a dual EU-UK citizen, my husband is British. We have moved to Sweden for my work a few months ago. My husband has established his right of residence here through me (i.e. as the spouse of an EU citizen). He has also applied for the Swedish equivalent of 'settled status' for Brits.

He has now been offered a job by a Belgian employer, who are happy for him to work remotely from Sweden. The position wouldn't start until some time in 2021.

We know he has the right to work in Sweden - but does he have the right to start working for an employer in another EU country post-2020? Either under the Withdrawal Agreement or as the non-EU spouse of an EU citizen? Or would the employer have to apply for work visa etc as they would for any other non-EU citizen?
Generally, it's possible. If he is physically in Sweden while he does the work, this is not a work permission issue. It's more of a tax and social contributions issue.

If his Belgian employer has a possibility to put him on a Swedish payroll, all is well.

Otherwise, he might have to register as self employed/freelancer and invoice the Belgian company.

Do contact the Swedish authorities - tax, social contributions, health system - and get advice about your options.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Breev
Newly Registered

Re: Can UK spouse live in one EU country and work in another?

Post by Breev » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:00 pm

Thanks. He is exploring the Swedish payroll issue, but it is good to know that going down the self-employed route might be another option. I'll tell him to give Skatteverket a ring to talk to them as well.