ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Civil partnership and living in EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

siralexius

Civil partnership and living in EU

Post by siralexius » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 am

Hello everyone!
I hope I open this subject in right topic.
I am non-EU citizen that holds a EU settled status (ILR). My partner is British and Irish citizen and can live in the EU based on Irish citizenship. I did researched on internet about rights for UK civil partnership and living in the EU and could not find enough info. We are planing to live in EU and is civil partnership can allow me to live with my partner in the EU or marriage is the only option? Is it possible to have civil partnership with Irish(EU) citizen and non-EU citizen that hold EU settled status in the UK that wants to live in EU? What are the rights of civil partnership? Is it same or similar to marriage and does it have at least same rights as marriage to live or get a residence card in EU?

siralexius

Re: Civil partnership and living in EU

Post by siralexius » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:34 am

Anyone did had or have a civil partnership and tried to live in EU? It is hard to find info about civil partnership and living with partner in EU. I know about marriage but I can't find info about civil partnership. Also as you can travel EU with your married partner without visa needed for non-EU citizen. I did in the past for some countries and was fine. So will civil partnership would allow me to have same right?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Civil partnership and living in EU

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:51 am

You need to check with the country authorities whether civil partnership laws are in force there - if not you can't apply as civil partner. Not every country has implement the relevant laws (it's not EU law). If you are visiting from the UK you will need a Schengen visa as you are a third country national (if you are a visa national). UK Settled Status doesn't give you free movement type privileges in the EU.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.