ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COVID dilemma - 90/180 expired, where to go next?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cindy2813
Newly Registered

COVID dilemma - 90/180 expired, where to go next?

Post by cindy2813 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello all, I will try to summarise the facts.

We are a couple (1 UK citizen, 1 non-EU citizen) and baby (UK citizen), all residents but not citizens of a non-EU country (don't want to state which as not to give away too much identifiable information). We are currently in Austria and soon will leave here. Non-EU spouse is in Schengen visa-free but subject to the 90 in 180 days rule. She was about to overstay the 90 days in 180 so we applied for a residence card in Austria to the competent authority in accordance with EU/Schengen guidance to persons stranded due to COVID. The authority did not process the application because it does not understand the rules - it did not accept or reject, it simply did not process it. We could have legally stayed until the application was rejected and then an appeal unsuccessful, in accordance with EU law, but they have not rejected it. Anyway we soon need to leave for tax reasons.

We cannot return to our country of residence due to unrealistic quarantine arrangements for our baby. It is not impossible but is highly unrealistic without going into too many details, including possibility of baby being forceably separated from parents. A risk we cannot take. We cannot go back until they relax their quarantine arrangements, could be a while. We cannot go to the UK for tax reasons. We cannot go to a non-Schengen European country for various reasons, some have too high COVID rates, other require visas but embassies are not accepting visa applications. We cannot go to the non-EU spouse's home country which currently has high COVID rates so too dangerous.

Our question is whether we can go to another Schengen country and the non-EU spouse applies there for a temporary residence permit (e.g. for 6 months max) under EU law due to COVID exceptional circumstances. This process would take some time, and she cannot be required to leave until the application is rejected and the appeal exhausted under EU law. This may buy us some time in the hope that the quarantine arrangements improve in our country of residence. But would a refusal create big problems for the non-EU spouse? And is there a reasonable chance of getting the e.g. 6 months temporary residence permit approved on exceptional grounds?

We really don't know what to do and are very stressed by this. Money is not the problem, within reason, we can supply bank statements showing we can easily support ourselves independently, have health insurance etc. Thank you for any advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: COVID dilemma - 90/180 expired, where to go next?

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 am

??

https://www.immigrationboards.com/member/panyatna/

https://www.immigrationboards.com/annou ... 11811.html
Administrator wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:46 pm

This is forbidden activity.

You may have one member ID here and only one. We make exceptions only under specific cases, and only when we can monitor all such activity.

Members activating and/or posting from multiple ID's (without specific, written previous arrangements) will be banned from the forum.

The Admin
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:47 am

Your spouse appears to be from the Ukraine based on your other username previous posts.

Ukraine has quite a low COVID rate with 53.5k cases to-date and around 1300 deaths and as if yesterday, 638 new cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:35 am

cindy2813 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm
Hello all, I will try to summarise the facts.

We are a couple (1 UK citizen, 1 non-EU citizen) and baby (UK citizen), all residents but not citizens of a non-EU country (don't want to state which as not to give away too much identifiable information). We are currently in Austria and soon will leave here. Non-EU spouse is in Schengen visa-free but subject to the 90 in 180 days rule. She was about to overstay the 90 days in 180 so we applied for a residence card in Austria to the competent authority in accordance with EU/Schengen guidance to persons stranded due to COVID. The authority did not process the application because it does not understand the rules - it did not accept or reject, it simply did not process it. We could have legally stayed until the application was rejected and then an appeal unsuccessful, in accordance with EU law, but they have not rejected it. Anyway we soon need to leave for tax reasons.

We cannot return to our country of residence due to unrealistic quarantine arrangements for our baby. It is not impossible but is highly unrealistic without going into too many details, including possibility of baby being forceably separated from parents. A risk we cannot take. We cannot go back until they relax their quarantine arrangements, could be a while. We cannot go to the UK for tax reasons. We cannot go to a non-Schengen European country for various reasons, some have too high COVID rates, other require visas but embassies are not accepting visa applications. We cannot go to the non-EU spouse's home country which currently has high COVID rates so too dangerous.

Our question is whether we can go to another Schengen country and the non-EU spouse applies there for a temporary residence permit (e.g. for 6 months max) under EU law due to COVID exceptional circumstances. This process would take some time, and she cannot be required to leave until the application is rejected and the appeal exhausted under EU law. This may buy us some time in the hope that the quarantine arrangements improve in our country of residence. But would a refusal create big problems for the non-EU spouse? And is there a reasonable chance of getting the e.g. 6 months temporary residence permit approved on exceptional grounds?

We really don't know what to do and are very stressed by this. Money is not the problem, within reason, we can supply bank statements showing we can easily support ourselves independently, have health insurance etc. Thank you for any advice.

When did you submit the RC application in Austria and when did you register your residence there?

Did they just receive your application and then did nothing? They can take up to 6 months for processing under EU law, was this exceeded?

I am not sure I understand your situation completely but it sounds like you want to keep moving to avoid becoming tax resident. Movement is restricted due to COVID, sometimes even within a country. I don't think temporarily moving for tax reasons would count as exceptional circumstances during the pandemic but I'd be very happy to be corrected.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.