ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizenship for British Passport Holder Please Suggest

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

uk-euro56
Newly Registered

EU citizenship for British Passport Holder Please Suggest

Post by uk-euro56 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello all,
I am British Citizen (born in India) and hold a British passport.
As UK is coming out of EU, I need to have free movement within EU, hence I am seeking citizenship of any other EU country. I know UK allows dual citizenship and I am allowed get the citizenship (or permanent residency status) of some other European Country.

I am now thinking to relocate myself in some other European country till UK comes out from EU. In the current scenario, which country should I go to:
i) which offers quickest permanent residency/stamp 4 or citizenship.
ii) Does not require their language test before offering the Permanent residency or citizenship

I am management professional hence I will be self-employed hence does not require a job to sustain myself.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: EU citizenship for British Passport Holder Please Sugges

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:52 pm

As far as I know they're all around five years or more by residency, but I do know Spain offers it after one. Trouble is you have to marry a Spanish girl (or man if that's what floats your boat).

Germany is 8 years, so is Denmark, Switzerland 12 years.

Shouldn't need a language test intra-EU as long as we're in it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

uk-euro56
Newly Registered

Post by uk-euro56 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks Wonderer, I would like to keep the marriage as last option. I would prefer if I could get just on the basis of residency or work, establishing business etc.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Do you have any dependent family with you in the UK? If so, where in the immigration process are they?

According to the Wikipedia article on Citizenship of the European Union, the quickest options for naturalisation of other EU citizens are the Czech Republic or Czechia at 3 years, followed by Italy and Romania at 4 years.

Some EU countries do require you to renounce your other nationality at the time of naturalisation. You may wish to check on that as well.

Some EU countries may have language requirements for naturalisation. Naturalisation is not covered by freedom of movement and is exclusively a member-state competence.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mgb

Post by mgb » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm

uk-euro56 wrote:

I am now thinking to relocate myself in some other European country till UK comes out from EU. In the current scenario, which country should I go to:
Permanent residence via exercising right of free movement is reached after 5 years. There are no other preconditions.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:42 pm

mgb wrote:
uk-euro56 wrote:

Permanent residence via exercising right of free movement is reached after 5 years. There are no other preconditions.
Daft question of the week for me, is it possible to gain EEA PR by living and working etc in several EU states other than one's own, one after the other, i.e. a year in Germany, followed by 2 in Ireland, etc until five is reached?

I'd imagine not...

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Wanderer wrote: Daft question of the week for me, is it possible to gain EEA PR by living and working etc in several EU states other than one's own, one after the other, i.e. a year in Germany, followed by 2 in Ireland, etc until five is reached?
As I understand it, the 5 years needs to be accumulated in the same member state, Permanent Resident status applies only in that member state, and can be lost by absence from that member state. It is also not clear at this point- in the absence of an EU-U.K. agreement- whether British citizens with EEA-PR in another member state will keep that status upon ceasing to be EU member state citizens in 2019.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

uk-euro56
Newly Registered

Re: EU citizenship for British Passport Holder Please Suggest

Post by uk-euro56 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Which EU country offers the citizenship in minimum period based on marrige to its citizen?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 pm

uk-euro56 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm
Which EU country offers the citizenship in minimum period based on marrige to its citizen?
I believe that honour goes to Italy. You can apply for Italian citizenship after a year if you are married to an Italian, resident in Italy and have a child together.

Italy is quite family-oriented, not unlike India. Sonia Gandhi nee Maino likely felt right at home in India.
Italian Citizenship wrote: The foreign spouse may acquire Italian citizenship by applying for it if in possession of the following requirements:
in Italy: a two-year legal residence following marriage; 
abroad: three years after marriage.

These terms are reduced to a half in the presence of children born or adopted by the couple;
if the marriage bond is valid and persists through to the adoption of the decree;
there is no record of convictions for crimes envisaging a maximum three-year prison sentence or of a conviction to more than one year in prison issued by a foreign judicial Authority for non-political crimes;
there is no record of convictions for any one of the offences envisaged in Book II, Title I, Chapters I, II and III of the Criminal Code (offences against the Italian State);
there are no reasons for disqualification for national security reasons.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 am

Is it only me who finds this pimping for citizenship rather distasteful?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 am

Wanderer wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 am
Is it only me who finds this pimping for citizenship rather distasteful?
I do too, right up there with the 'married for 3 years to my EU spouse and now things are not working out and getting divorced and want RoR' MoC nonsense.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

uk-euro56
Newly Registered

Post by uk-euro56 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks. Did i hear right if Spain offers citizenship just after one year if you marry a spanish girl??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 pm

uk-euro56 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 pm
Thanks. Did i hear right if Spain offers citizenship just after one year if you marry a spanish girl??
You would have to renounce your British citizenship in order to get Spanish citizenship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law
Dual nationality
Dual citizenship is permitted for all Spaniards by origin, as long as they declare their will to retain Spanish nationality within three years of the acquisition of another nationality. This requirement is waived for the acquisition of the nationality of an Iberoamerican country, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal, and any other country that Spain may sign a bilateral agreement with.[1][18]

Foreign nationals who acquire Spanish nationality must renounce their previous nationality, unless they are natural-born citizens of an Iberoamerican country, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal.[1][18]
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

uk-euro56
Newly Registered

Post by uk-euro56 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks CR.So, going on Spanish road is a dead end. Dont want to loose British citizenship. Any other quicker option besides Italy?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:33 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 pm
You would have to renounce your British citizenship in order to get Spanish citizenship.
Although it depends on what exactly "renounce" means in this context. If it only means declaring a renunciation to the Spanish authorities, this has no effect under British law.

It's agreed with earlier posters that citizenship of any country- EU or otherwise- should be viewed with respect. In particular, those who seek a citizenship without good reason may not necessarily appreciate certain obligations that could come with that citizenship. Notably in the realms of taxation and military service- either now or in the future.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:17 pm

To the OP, have you considered citizenship by investment? Cyprus offers citizenship within three months if you invest €2 million in real estate in that island. Malta and Bulgaria also offer EU citizenship by investment schemes. And some schemes do not require residency.

BBC News: Where is the cheapest place to buy citizenship?

What is the cheapest country to buy citizenship in?
If you are lucky to have millions, you can get EU citizenship within months..
Cyprus - 2,500,000 euros (6 months)
Malta - 900,000 euros (13- 15 months)
Austria - 10,000,000 euros (not guaranteed)
That may be percieved as less tawdry than citizenship by marriage.

Also see: Which EU country has the easiest citizenship requirements?

Do any countries offer citizenship by marriage with little to no residency requirements?
The UK used to be the sham marriage capital of the world at one point.

uk-euro56
Newly Registered

Post by uk-euro56 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:26 pm

If i wave the option of gaining cetezenship by investment root, i do not get enough benefits. I am not after economic migration. Cost does not justify!

EEA National
Bulgaria

Post by EEA National » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Try this website explaining in details Bulgarian citizenship
third party weblink removed by moderator
And this article
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investi ... 50000.html

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:49 pm

EEA National wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:59 pm
Try this website explaining in details Bulgarian citizenship
third party weblink removed by moderator
And this article
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investi ... 50000.html
Kindly refrain from posting links to third party immigration websites.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

uk-euro56
Newly Registered

Post by uk-euro56 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:13 pm

I have am thinking to go to a european and get the resident card and open a company there. Would that help. And which country should i go?