Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Expired Romanian passport and ID card

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Post Reply
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 15, 2022 10:39 pm

Expired Romanian passport and ID card

Post by Halecry » Sun May 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Hey guys.
I hope someone can help as I can’t find any answers. My partner is Romanian and we live in the England. He has settled status, but his ID card has expired and his Romanian passport is due to expire in September. He can’t get through to the embassy in England as we’re trying to find out how/if he can get these sorted as his mum lives in Italy and is ill so he wants to go and visit her.
My questions are:
1) If he travels to Romania to try and sort out his ID card, will he be allowed back into England as he won’t have 6 months validity on his passport but he does have settled status? He will probably have to go back a few weeks later to get his identity card and apply for his passport?
2) He will only be able to go there for 3 days due to work commitments, is this enough time do apply for a new ID card even if he has to go back weeks later to collect it? Will he need an appointment or anything?

We just want to know our options :(
Can anyone help?

User avatar
Respected Guru
Posts: 5230
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks

Re: Expired Romanian passport and ID card

Post by alterhase58 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 am

1) if he's got Settled Status the remaining validity of passport is not an issue - note that the 6 months rule applies to UK passports.
2) Don't know - check first with the Romanian authorities - I'd be reluctant to make plans around this ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

Post Reply